Magical Matters

The Big Bad Wolf

I step into the kitchen and am almost hit in the head with a flying bowl. Gazing at the room I can feel my mouth hanging open and shut it with a snap. The room is in ordered chaos as random kitchen utensils and instruments fly about the room presumably making dinner. In the middle of it all, cooking book in one hand spoon in the other stands Violet. An apron on and an angry scowl on her face as she reads the recipe out loud and mutter to herself completely oblivious to my presence.

"Damn oven!" Violet hisses as she flicks the spoon at it opening it and allowing the pan hovering near it to be placed in. "Thirty minutes!' she calls out as the timer sets itself. Sighing she drops the book at the kitchen table and slides into the window seat.

I stand there right inside the door slightly hidden by the cabinets watching her. Her head is in her hands and she looks so vulnerable in this moment it kills me. I want to be able to protect her from everything.

Raising her head she beckons the phone over and proceeds to dial a number. Tears form in her eyes when the person picks up.

"Hello."

"Hi Grandma!" Violet says her voice cracking slightly.

"Hi doll-baby how are you?"

"Good, things have been good." Violet says wiping away silent tears. "How are things back home?"

"Fine, just fine. Laura Forester asked about you the other day wondering when you'd be home next. I told her you call every week and visit once a month at least. You do plan to come down next month don't you?"

"Yes, Grandma." replies Violet straightening up. "I'll be there. I might be able to stay the night but I'm not sure yet. I'll call you next week. I love you Grandma."

"I love you too doll-baby. I gotta go the girls are here for cards, bye."

"Bye." Hanging up the phone Violet flings it across the room with such force I'm sure it's going to break but it doesn't. Instead right before it hits the wall it stops and then flies back to its holder.

"You can come out now," she says dully. "I promise not to throw things at you."

"Swear?" I say teasingly as I emerge from the doorway and go to sit next to her. I toss around the idea of asking her about the phone call but from the look in her eyes decide not to. I don't mind her calling her family I just wish she'd share more about her life with me.

She cracks a minuscule grin, "Swear."

"You can talk to me about whatever it is you know that right?" I say trying to be as close to her as I can without crowding her. I want to ask her about her Grandmother, her family, but I don't. I know it'll only hurt her if I do.

"Can I?" she asks turning to look at me. "I don't even know you and you want me to spill my guts. I may not hate you but that's only because I love your siblings and they love you. I don't know you and frankly you scare me."

Those last three words break my heart. I scare her. I don't want to scare her I never want her to feel that I might hurt her. "Do you know what a mate it?" I ask her quietly.

"Isn't it like a werewolf's soul mate?" she asks in return.

"Yes," I say turning to her. "You're my mate. There's only one person in the world for me an that's you. After the six months you can reject me and leave but I'll never have anyone else. Sure I might find love but it would be like lighting a candle to keep you warm after sitting by an inferno. You may not know me or trust me yet but I'll do anything to gain your trust - anything."