Chapter 19

Vlad gently brushed the tears from my cheek with his thumb. His words echoed in my mind. Dmitri is going to try to kill me.. I had feared that much from what I had gleaned in Vlad's journal, but it was as if I had just now begun to realize the weight of the situation.

"I won't let him hurt you Brielle." My mate whispered.

He pulled me in closer, much to my surprise, and held his arm gently around my shoulders. I realized that this was his poor attempt at a hug.
The gentle warmth that came from his chest made me forget what we were even talking about. It felt nice being held by him, even if that comfort was temporary.

"I was wrong to react that way to you. Please forgive me. I- I have trouble controlling my anger sometimes and-"  he shook his head and heaved a disappointed sigh.  "I'm going to be better for you. I'm going to become the mate you deserve but I just need time. There's so much you don't understand."

His sudden outburst had been understandable but that didn't make it okay.

"It's alright." I answered.

"You should get some rest." My mate said, releasing his hold on me. He stood there awkwardly facing me, waiting for me to answer.

"We both should."

I went back to my room. The small quarters had already become like a second home to me. The chilly wind didn't blow as hard as it usually did, and for once I didn't shiver from the cold. My encounter with Vlad kept playing over and over in my mind. He actually hugged me. Sure it could've been better, but it was a start. My mate was beginning to open up and show his inward feelings. I thanked the goddess for that. If you would've told me a couple days ago that Vlad would've hugged me I would've thought you were crazy. Baby steps.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. There was a faint bruise of a handprint on my neck. I sucked in a breath of air as I gently traced my fingertips over the mark. He didn't mean to..
He had barely grabbed me and yet a mark appeared from his harsh touch. It was apparent my mate wasn't aware of his own strength. I would hate to see what he could do to his enemies.

After combing through my hair, and dressing in an oversized tshirt, I was ready for bed.

You're not seriously planning on sleeping alone again are you? Tatia asked.

"Yes?" I answered.

Mate wants us with him. I can feel it.

"No he doesn't Tatia."

What was it with the wolves? Strangely enough, it was like Tatia could communicate with his. Still, I had my doubts on what she was suggesting. If he wanted us to sleep with him he would've said something.

Not if he feels bad.. she countered.

She could be right. Maybe he did want us to be with him. He was my mate after all, what could it hurt?

I grabbed my pillow and blanket, and tiptoed through the hallway to Vlad's room. I had never been inside his actual room before, just his study. I wondered if his looked similar to mine. I raised my fist to knock but before I could a voice spoke.

"You can come in."

Carefully I eased the door open, peeking my head inside. It was pitch dark in the room save for the large bed that was illuminated by the open curtain. I could make out Vlad's large form lying on the bed. His room smelled like him, a crisp inviting scent that was unique only to him.

"Can I uh..sleep with you?" I asked.

I knew I probably looked quite ridiculous in my shirt with a giant blanket wrapped around my shoulders.

I heard a quiet growl. It was so faint I thought maybe I'd imagined it.

"Come over here." He patted the area next to him.

I proceeded cautiously, climbing up on the spot next to him. I settled into the heavy blankets, turning so my back was facing him. I tried to slow my heavy breathing to match his.

"Missed me already?" He whispered.

More than you know. I really was relieved that Vlad was back. I was starting to feel more safe and secure in his presence. A large muscled arm reached over, pulling me closer.

He held my middle tightly, his warm breath fanning over my ear. I closed my eyes and laid my head into him. I felt completely relaxed in my mates arms. In that moment I didn't worry about anything. I didn't worry about my pack, or Farley. I wasnt even worried about Dmitri or his intent to kill me. I knew that no matter what, Vlad wouldn't let that happen. He would protect me.

I listened to my mates gentle heartbeat and the sound of his light snoring. He had already fallen asleep. My eyelids had begun to grow heavy. Slowly, I drifted off to sleep with a smile on my face. That night I didn't have to dream about my mate hugging me back. It had been real.

* * * * * * * * *

A/N: I hope y'all liked chapter 19!! Vlad is finally getting to go through some much needed character development loll

I hope you guys are liking the story so far and how everything is turning out:)
Please don't forget to votecommentand share