Chapter 8

Brielle POV-

I've never held my breath for so long in my entire life. Surely there had been some mistake? I couldn't bring myself to face the giant Alpha before me. Did I hear him right?

Mate.

Tatia practically lost it. If I wasn't controlling my wolf, she would have submitted for him right then and there. The man appeared to be under an immense amount of stress, raking his fingers through his tousled hair. The room was quiet for what felt like an eternity before he finally spoke.

"This can't happen. Not now."

I gulped, not understanding his words.

"W-what?"

"Shit." He muttered.

Was something wrong? What did he mean by this can't happen? The increasing worry I felt overpowered any sense of fear.

Look how gorgeous he is..My wolf said.

How could she say that right now? I finally mustered up enough courage to steal a quick glance at the Alpha. I looked up to find his amber eyes already on me. I looked away.

"Listen um-" He trailed off, realizing he didn't know my name.

"Brielle."

"Brielle. Look I'm sorry but I just can't do this right now." His tone was bland, devoid of any emotion.

Wait..what was he saying? I began to fidget with the red hem of my gown. I could tell by the expression on his face that what was coming next couldn't be good.

"I'm sorry." He said, taking a step back from me. "But you need to go."
* * * * * * *

The minute he said those words, I realized he meant them. He looked at me expectantly, waiting for me to leave. So I did. I turned and walked out of that forsaken room, eyes pricked with welling tears.

Where the hell do you think you're going? My wolf struggled to turn me around.

"Stop. He doesn't want us." I didn't realize how awful it sounded until I'd actually said it out loud.

Did he say that? Tatia challenged.

"Yes..no. But you heard what he said."

He said leave.. that's not an official rejection.

I wasn't in the mood to argue with my wolf. I slowly walked back down the way I'd came, feeling disoriented. My breathing shallowed, tears clouded my vision. Now was not the time for a panic attack. I gripped the wall to steady myself from falling.

I bet I looked a sight. Thank goddess it was only me in the hall right now. I closed my eyes, and focused on slowing my breathing. We can do this.

Once again I plastered on a fake smile, and stumbled back towards the ballroom. I was relieved that someone had at least changed the music. Instead of blasting techno, a slow soft melody now took its place.

I plunged into the crowd of dancing wolves, searching for the girls. My brain felt inebriated, as if I'd been drinking all night. Two flutes of champagne could do that I guess. Or meeting your mate.

Sniffing the air, I located Eden's scent. I followed it until I found her and Katherine who were now on the other side of the ballroom. Josephine was gone, most likely lost somewhere in the sea of people.

"What happened to you?" Eden said.

"I..um"

"You don't look so good." Her eyebrows creased in concern.

Can she shut up? Said Tatia.

"No I'm fine I just.. got lost." I brushed the matter off, hoping my sister would drop it.

"Oh..Well glad you found your way back. The claiming ceremony is about to begin." Eden said, clapping her hands together.

I took in the room, observing those that had actually found their mate. It was an almost even split between the newly mated wolves, and the unmated. My sister was one of them.

My heart panged at the thought of my mate, and the events that had just taken place.

Mate. I could feel my wolf's desperation.

An abrupt round of applause interrupted my thoughts.

I followed everyone's train of sight to the front of the ballroom. It was starting. The wolf council had begun to assemble around the blood basin in preparation for the vow exchanges.

The crowd became hushed when the grand beta raised his hand for silence.

"Welcome everyone to one-hundredth triennial crescent ball. Those of you with mates come forward."

The group of wolves parted like the Red Sea. The mated couples came forward while the others hung back. I gripped Eden's arm in anticipation. My eyes landed on a wild mess of brown hair in the crowd. Josephine..

She was arm-in-arm with a man, walking towards the stage.

"Josephine?" I whispered.

"She's found her mate." Katherine said.

Josephine beamed with pride as she stepped up onto the stage with her mate. He was a little on the short side, and had a mop of ginger hair.

They each took their places on opposite sides of the basin. The grand beta gave Josephine a dagger, and my eyes grew wide in horror.

Hehe.. my wolf laughed smugly. I had a feeling she would enjoy this.

The noise of the crowd grew louder, and I had to strain my ears in order to hear properly.

"I Josephine Garcia accept you Delano Taylor as my mate..I pledge with my life to love and honor you in both this life and the next."

She took the hilt of the dagger and quickly sliced her palm. Crimson blood oozed from the cut, and trickled into the basin. Her mate then grabbed the dagger, repeating the same process as she did.

Cheers erupted from the mass of wolves after the quick exchange. Josephine blushed like a schoolgirl. She quickly flanked to her mate's side, and together they left the stage.

In that brief moment, I was truly happy for my friend. Josephine had finally found her match, and he had accepted her for who she was.

I caught myself once again scanning the ballroom. Maybe it was out of instinct, or maybe deep down I'd secretly hoped to catch another glance of him.

He's here. Tatia said. I can smell him..

My eyes darted around the room, searching for the mysterious Alpha. ..Nothing.

I then looked up to the balcony overhead, and there he was. The honey eyes watching me were unmistakable. My Mate.

A/N This chapter is dedicated to @rail_me_zaddy for being the most funniest person on Wattpad;)

Also don't forget to vote and comment!!