Chapter Thirty-Three

I wake up, and immediately feel pain. I groan and open my eyes to the dark room. I'm tied to a chair by my wrists and waist.

"Kai?" I automatically call out.

"Behind you."

I can guess that Kai's in the same position as I am and we're tied back to back. But why tie us up and hold us captive if the Sirens can just take over our minds? They could easily get us back on their sides.

"Looks like we're done running." I note.

"I'd rather die than be Sybil's little bitch again." Kai responds.

"How about option 3?" I hear Sybil say in the darkness.

I squint in the direction of the voice, unable to see anything. Finally, Sybil walks into view, with Seline following just behind.

"Tell me more." Kai says.

"You aren't going to work for us, you'll take our roles. And then we will be free."

"I'm confused." I express.

"Me and my sister, Seline, we don't just harvest the souls of the wicked for fun." Sybil smiles. "We do it because we have to."

"We work for Arcadius. A.K.A the devil. In exchange for youth, beauty, and immortality, we give Cade evil souls— provided that we feed on the flesh of mortals for eternity."

"So you want us to do that instead?" I ask.

"We don't have to eat people do we?" Kai questions.

Sybil narrows her eyes. "That's all up to Cade."

I hear Seline's heels clack away into the darkness, followed by the switch of a light.

I close my eyes to avoid the brightness and then slowly open them, blinking rapidly as my eyes try to adjust.

From what I can see we are in a room with some sort of indoor pool— the school, maybe. I notice an unconscious girl laying on the floor— luckily someone that I don't know.

"Where are we?" Kai asks.

Seline starts to untie us, and ignores Kai's question.

I get free first and immediately stand up out of my chair, turning to face Kai as he does the same.

I shake my head to tell him not to do anything stupid. If we fight now we are wasting our energy.

"The last step." Sybil says, lighting a match. She holds it against one of the wooden pool chairs, and it lights on fire.

In front of us, a man appears— out of thin air. He is facing Sybil and Seline, so his back is towards me and Kai.

"Ladies, do explain why you have summoned me." The man says.

"We have a deal to propose." Sybil smiles.

"Is that so?" The man— who I presume is Cade— responds.

We have to get out. If we have to work for the devil, we'll never get out.

I'll never see Katherine again— I wouldn't be able to die.

God I hate to say it, but I wish Klaus would show up right now.

Sybil points at us, and smiles. "We'd like to..." Sybil's voice trails off as I come up with a plan.

Slowly, I grab Kai's hand and squeeze. He looks down at me, confused.

Siphon, I think, as if he could read my mind.

I squeeze his hand again. Then mouth the word magic.

Kai's lips part and he stares at me undecidedly. I nod my head. Please.