Chapter Eighteen

I wake up in my bed, surprisingly, and sit up. My head immediately starts throbbing painfully. I look around at the bottles all over the floor. Shit. Katherine probably hates me. Wait- where is she?

I stand up, still in the same sweats as yesterday.

I walk up to my room's phone to see if she left me a message.

SIX NEW MESSAGES FROM 'KAI'

I groan, letting them play as I change. How did he even get this number?

"Stella you-"

Skip.

"I love you and-"

Oh my god. He did not. Skip.

"I killed-"

I don't even want to know. Skip.

"I can't believe I even got the cure for us."

Holy shit. I reply the message again. Yeah, I definitely heard that right.

I stop the rest of the messages and finish getting dressed.

Picking up my real phone, I dial Kai's number as I jump in bed. He won't answer. Two can play this game.

"Kai where are you?" I ask, after he finally picks up.

"I'm long gone, Stella. Don't come looking for me. I'll be back- eventually."

"W-"

"I'm only gonna say this once: check the loose floorboard of your hotel room."

He hangs up on me and I throw my phone in anger. Where could he have gone?

I set down my phone on the nightstand and get off of the bed, going straight to the floorboard by the dresser. How does he know about it? I keep my prison world diaries in there.

I open it up and see a small, fancy, box. I open the top and it reveals a tube of red liquid. The cure. Why would he give this to me? I don't even want it- or do I? No. Maybe?

I close the box, and place it back into the floorboard, calling Katherine.

— —

"Thanks for meeting me here, I know the whole Kai situation has been rough." I say as we sit down at the table in Mystic Grill.

She stirs her straw around in her drink, resting her head on her hand, forcing a smile.

"He left, and I have to idea where he is. But I think that's best for now, considering Klaus could wake up any second and rip his head off."

Katherine perks her head up. "Wait, he left Mystic Falls?"

"Yeah, and he left something behind- for me."

Katherine nods, intrigued.

"The cure."

"The- what?!"

"I know, I wouldn't even want to take it- unless- would you."

"God no." Katherine laughs.

"I mean, I don't think I would, but it's nice to have, you know?"

"Whatever you think." Katherine checks her phone. "I have to go."

"What? What is it?"

"Nothing." She gets up and starts to walk off.

"I-" I start but she ignores me. She's probably just mad at me because of Kai's whole scene.

I see Damon and Elena start to walk over. Great.