Chapter Twelve

I turn around quickly but Klaus pops up in front of me again.

"You're not going anywhere, love."

"Klaus, I know you hate me but Stefan- he doesn't deserve this!" I shout.

"It's not what he deserves, it's what you deserve." Klaus says, grabbing my arm.

My body tensed and I look between him and his grip on my arm, swallowing nervously. Before I can say anything he starts walking and drags me with him through the school halls.

"I was going to find some real humans for him to use, but I don't think he's ready yet." Klaus explains as we walk.

"If Stefan is going to be working with me, he has to be perfect. Nothing sloppy." He says and I speed-walk to keep up with his fast pace.

"You're the perfect person for him to use. He can't actually injure you permanently, therefore you can be used multiple times." Klaus says as we turn a corner.

"He won't hurt me! We're friends!" I shout.

"I don't think that means much now. Since, you know, he doesn't have any emotions." Klaus laughs.

We reach the gym doors and Klaus pulls me against his body and wraps his arm around my waist to get me through the door with him. Once inside, he throws me forward and closes the doors.

"Alright rippah," he says to Stefan, "show me what you got."

Klaus stands beside me as Stefan walks in front of us.

"Can we just go? I don't need Stella. I know how to feed off of someone I've been doing it my whole life-mostly." Stefan says.

"Are you taking pity on her even after I told you what she did to me?" Klaus asks.

My heart sinks and I let out a shaky breath. "You told him?! How could you!" I scream, looking up at Klaus who is still facing Stefan. "He'll hate me-"

"No- that's not it. She does deserve this." Stefan interrupts me and I look over to him. "I just want some REAL human blood!"

"We'll you're working under me." Klaus says. "That means you do as I say."

Stefan nods, looking down.

"Stefan, don't listen-"

"Stella!" Klaus yells, turning to me. "You aren't understanding." I turn away from Stefan and look at Klaus angrily. "The Stefan that you know is gone."

I glare at him as tears sting my eyes.

"And he's never coming back."

"Ok let's just get on with this so I can prove that I'm ready." Stefan says and we both turn to him.

Stefan stares at me as his vampire face forms. Klaus smiles, backing away from me and I panic. I'm stronger than Stefan, which means I can stop him from hurting me. But he's compelled, I'll have to kill him to avoid it. And that's something I'll never do.

"Stefan don't! I don't wanna hurt you!"

"Well, Stella, you either let him have a bite, or kill him to defend yourself. Because he won't stop." Klaus says.

"You have to control this Stefan!" I say, ignoring Klaus.

Stefan still stares me down with blood-shot eyes and veins under them.

"Please..."

Stefan opens his mouth to expose fangs and vamp-speeds towards me. I made my choice and stand still, bracing for his sharp teeth.