"Friends?" Contrary to his previous statement, I wanted to know if I'd heard him correctly. "We met yesterday."

"And?" he emphasised. "That doesn't mean that we can't get to know each other. How many people would you find just wandering around in the woods?"

"You," I answered.

"See? Wonderful people." His attitude reminded me of Kian a little bit. It made me uncomfortable, but there was a key difference. Farley was confident, not arrogant. Or at least, not as arrogant as Kian.

"If I talked to you, would you leave?" he was silent. The only sound was our footsteps. He took fewer steps then I did, his strides must be long.

"Yeah, if you don't want me to come back around." I sighed in relief; I wouldn't be getting into any trouble. "Where was I up to?"

"You were getting on the bus again," I mumbled under my breath.

He clicked his fingers together, jumping lightly. "Right, yes." The air started to get a little colder, he was swaying his arms. "Then Mary got on the bus, she's the sweetest lady honestly. She keeps toffees in her bag, and she goes to the bingo-"

"Bingo?" I interrupted. If I was going to listen to his day, I may as well understand it.

"Ah, it's like a game. You have to get all the numbers marked off," he explained quickly. "Though I've never been to a bingo hall. I've just done the small games in primary school."

"What's school like?" I tilted my head. I mentally kicked myself for asking more questions, maybe he'd leave quicker if we talked more.

"School is...I'm assuming you know it's a place where children learn." I nodded in response. "It can be stressful, depending on who you are. I had some good friends in school. Haven't seen them in a while though."

"Why not?" I asked. My curiosity was getting too well-fed today.

"I started to live somewhere else, so I was home-schooled." I nodded, that's what Alder was doing at the moment.

"I know a little about that." The atmosphere was thickening. "So, what do you learn about in school?"

"Everything irrelevant," he joked. "We've got lots of different subjects. Maths and English aren't too bad, geography and history weren't very helpful. PE was fun though." His energy returned to him like he got a new battery. "How don't you know this?"

I shrugged. "I didn't go to school, I guess I was home-schooled." I was working this out with the flow of the conversation. When I was really young, around the age of six or seven, I do remember going somewhere to learn. There were only about ten of us in my class. I wasn't sure if that was normal, but it was a distant memory. "What's PE?"

He kicked a rock out of our path. "Physical education, says what it is I suppose." I wasn't so sure of that. "It's basically a time where you get to do fun sports or run about for no apparent reason."

I turned in his direction, wanting him to see my expression for once. "You have to go to a school in order to learn how to run?" He burst out laughing. I remained confused. I had stopped walking. He was bent over; I could feel his breath on my legs with his heavy breaths.

"Pax, no." He was still taking deep breaths in recovery from his laughter. "It's just a time where we do sports and stuff, I don't really know why we do it. I think it's just something to encourage us to move more."

I didn't understand why people would need something to encourage movement. Going out for walks and runs was one of the highlights of my day. I was able to feel my blood pumping through my veins and I would allow myself to get lost in the action. "Okay." I couldn't think of much else to say.

"Of course, there's the times where we get a big parachute out and play in that. It's more for the children's enjoyment then anything else," he explained. I didn't quite understand what a parachute was, but Farley's tone was starting to sound nostalgic. I don't often hear a tone like that, the closest I get is overhearing Daphne and Alder.

"You enjoyed it though?" I'm running out of words. Surely, we're close to the point where he gives up on me.

"Yeah, my favourite was cricket." I know what that is, the pack liked to play it in summer. It was an easy game to understand. My expression must have showed my understanding. "You know it?"

I nodded. "Those who I live with like to play." I was happy to know at least one thing he was talking about. "I've only ever listened to it."

He gasped. "You've got to play cricket with us sometime, it can get a bit predictable after a few games over who'll win."

I didn't like that thought. I inhaled deeply as I realised this wasn't going the way I had planned. "I don't think I'd be allowed." I resumed walking, leaving him standing behind.

"Not allowed?" He hurried beside me. "What do you mean, you won't be allowed?"

"I think I said it the only way I can," I said honestly. "I won't be allowed to play cricket with you. I'm probably not allowed to be talking to you."

A warm hand grasped my wrist, causing me to jump. My breath got caught in my throat at the sudden contact. "Why shouldn't you be talking to people?" Worry was laced in his tone, but I could only focus on my own worry at the moment. The worry about what would happen if Kian came to check on me, or Cedar. It didn't matter who it was, if I was seen talking to Farley, I'd be in a world full of trouble.

His grip was firm, his thumb was moving slightly against the inside of my wrist. I wanted to pull away, turn my back on him, and run. I couldn't bring myself to do it. "Pax, you don't know anything about the world. You are just having a simple conversation with me. You live in the middle of the woods. Are you okay?"

I wasn't.

He was speaking the truth, a truth which I couldn't handle. The instinct that I had when I was younger kicked in. I wanted to run away from the house and never look back. I wanted to play cricket with Farley, I wanted to know what a bus was, and to see school.

I was practically dragging Farley by this point. I was stomping down the track. "Pax-"

I spun around. "I'm not okay, and I do not see a way I can be." I didn't know what I was saying. I felt emotions of anger and self-pity travel from my stomach, to my throat, and out my mouth. "I've been in that house for years, in the middle of a forest. I can't leave the trees, because I know nothing. I won't be able to handle it. I've never been able to talk to anyone outside of the house in years. I just want..." I trailed off before yanking my arm from his grasp. "Goodnight Farley."

I resorted to my last method, running. I always ran away from my issues.

"Pax!" Farley called from behind me. I didn't turn back, I just kept running.

Question of the day!

What's your favourite outdoor activity?

Well, for one- going 'outdoors' is a bit of a rare occurrence for me :') However! I do enjoy going on walks when I'm feeling up to it! I used to like playing tennis too when I was at school.