81. The Truth Hurts

Začít od začátku

"What?" Maya questioned.

"From what your daughter described to me, she shows clear signs of both depression and mania, which are an indication of bipolar," The woman explained.

Maya blinked her eyes in disbelief, "That's what Andrew had, my wife's brother... He--He died," she stuttered out.

The therapist nodded in understanding, "I know, Maddie told me that already," she paused before she continued to talk. "Maya, I am not a proper doctor so I can't confirm the diagnosis but I strongly believe that is what she has, it is best to set up an appointment with a doctor that can confirm it," she told the blonde woman.

"Will they be able to help her?" Maya wondered.

"They will be," Dr Lucas agreed. "I am aware of the self-harming, and I believe that it would be suitable to continue with routine therapy appointments," she stated.

Maya nodded in agreement with the dark-haired doctor, "I--I didn't think that she would have that. I thought she was just sad, I didn't think she was suffering from the same illness that her Zio had," she said in a state of shock.

"It can be common in the family," Dr Lucas explained. "Is there anyone else with mental health issues in your family?" she questioned.

"I... I don't know. I mean, maybe, but I don't know for sure," Maya said as she racked her brain for answers.

"Okay, and how about Maddie's father's side?" Dr Lucas questioned.

Maya shook her head firmly, "I'm not aware of that... He's not in her life, and I don't wish for her to have anything to do with him," she stated strongly.

"That's understandable," Dr Lucas said.

"Thank you for your help, Dr Lucas. I'll go ahead and set up an appointment with a doctor to get the proper diagnosis," Maya told the woman.

Dr Lucas stood up from her desk and walked around it, "No problem. I'd like to stick to the usual Thursday appointment this week," she told her.

"Right, of course, yes," Maya said in agreement before she walked out of the office.

"I don't get why we can't just go home now?" Maddie grumbled as she followed her Mom through the corridors of the hospital.

"Almost, we just need to go and find your mama first," Maya told her daughter.

Maddie let out a huff in annoyance, "Alright," she mumbled.

Both blondes' turned the corner as they were yet to find the Italian brunette when Maya spotted a familiar doctor that was there the night that Andrew was murdered.

"Hey, have you seen Carina-- Dr DeLuca-Bishop?" The older blonde questioned.

The male doctor looked up from his tablet and smiled kindly, "Oh, she's still in surgery right now... Oh wait, you're her wife, aren't you? I'm Dr Levi Schmitt," He introduced himself.

"Lieutenant Maya DeLuca-Bishop," Maya stuck her hand out for him to shake. "Do you know how long she's going to be at all?" she questioned.

"I don't really know, but you're welcome to wait in her office?" Schmitt offered before he turned and saw the younger blonde, "And you must be the daughter? I have heard a lot about you," he told her.

"Hi," Maddie mumbled quietly as she found interest to look at her converses.

Maya looked irritated with her daughters' current mood and gave her a look before she turned back to Schmitt, "Sorry, this is Maddie, she's not too talkative right now," she apologised.