55. Surprise Visitors

"Are you sure you're going to be okay here by yourself?" Maya questioned from where she stood in the kitchen as she made her usual smoothie, she was returning back to work today, Carina was already at work due to an emergency c-section and Maddie was being trusted by herself, despite how much both women didn't want that.

Maya and Carina still hadn't spoken since they had an argument two days ago, and the atmosphere was certainly odd because of it.

Maddie couldn't help but roll her eyes. "Yes, I'll be totally fine, mom!" she insisted.

"Okay but you know if you need me then just call-" Maya started as Maddie cut her off.

"Mom, seriously, come on..." Maddie whined as she opened the fridge and grabbed the carton of orange juice. "You worry too much. I'll be fine!" she continued to insist.

"I only worry so much because I kiddo, that won't ever stop," Maya told her thirteen-year-old.

"I know," Maddie said as she nodded as she grabbed a glass out of the cupboard. "Speaking of care, don't you think that you should probably talk to mama?" she asked.

"Mads, it's complicated," Maya stated, already wanting out of this conversation.

"How is it?" Maddie fired back.

Maya exhaled a sigh as she finished making her smoothie. "It just is kiddo," she said, she didn't want to talk about this any longer.

Maddie blinked in disbelief and shook her head. "That doesn't make a lot of sense," she said confused as she took a swig of her orange juice. "Mom, you've barely spoken to her in the last two days!" she argued.

"Mads-" Maya started.

Maddie shook her head again. "Don't you want any more kids? I gotta admit, having a little baby brother or sister would be pretty awesome. I mean you've seen Toby and how cute he is!" she gushed. 

"Mads, it's not that simple," Maya said trying to keep calm.

"Why isn't it?" Maddie frowned, being a teenager, she didn't understand what the big deal was and why her mom refused to talk about this and caused an argument with her mama about it.

Maya let out a sigh and walked to pick her backpack up. "Mads, look, I have to go to work before I am late," she said wanting out of this conversation.

"What? Mom, you still have plenty of time yet!" Maddie said confused as she looked at the clock on the wall. "At least talk to mama and have a conversation, the atmosphere is so weird right now with you two barely even acknowledging one another!" she exclaimed as the blonde women walked out of the apartment.

"Hey, Carina! Glad to see that you're back." Teddy said as she spotted her friend standing at the nurse's desk with a tablet in hand.

"Good to be back, Teddy. Although I would rather still be at home with my wife and daughter," Carina told her friend the truth.

"I know. When Allison was born, I barely wanted to leave her side," Teddy told her. "How's Maddie doing now?" she questioned.

"Stubborn as always and determined to get back onto the field to play soccer much to Maya's dismay," Carina said as she laughed slightly.

"Aren't all kids her age stubborn like that nowadays?" Teddy asked as she chuckled and shook her head.

"Pretty much," Carina said in agreement as she looked up from the tablet in her hand. "Make the most of Allison and Leo being so young Teddy, it won't last forever and before you know it, they'll be stubborn teenagers," she chuckled.