48. Awaiting News

"Hey, guys. I thought I might find you both in here," Andy appeared in the doorway of the chapel, holding two coffee cups in her hand, spotting the two women sitting on the bench as they comforted one another.

Maya turned around to see her best friend. "Hi Andy," she said.

Andy walked further into the chapel. "I picked up some coffee on my way back," she motioned to the coffee cups in her hand. "Here you go," she said as she handed them over.

"Grazie Andy," Carina stated as she accepted the beverage.

"Thank you," Maya said quietly.

Andy took a seat on the bench beside Carina, "So, has she come out of surgery yet?" she wondered.

Maya shakes her head and sighs. "No. Nothing yet... Surely, it shouldn't take this long!" she said frustrated.

"Bella, Bailey said that it would take time." Carina tried to reassure her wife.

"Yeah, I know," Maya said in agreement as her knees bounced in anxiety. "I just hate the waiting. It feels like time hasn't stopped,"

"We have just gotta sit tight and wait, Bella," Carina continued to reassure her wife.

The three women continued to sit there in silence, Maya was bouncing her knee in anxiety as Carina chewed on her lip nervously. Andy felt like she should do something further to help than just sit there.

"Is that your phone ringing?" Andy questioned when she was brought out of her thoughts by a phone vibrating.

Maya reached into her pocket and pulled her phone out as she looked confused. "No. Is it either of yours?" she questioned.

Andy reached into the pocket of her turnouts and shook her head. "Not mine," she said.

"It's not mine," Carina said as she checked her phone as they could still hear the vibrations. Suddenly, Carina realized it was Maddie's phone that she had been handed before she was taken into the OR. "It's the Bambina's," she said as slid the phone out of her lab coat pocket.

"Who's calling?" Maya questioned as she furrowed her brow in confusion.

"Sarah..." Carina said, looking down at the phone and then back at her wife and her best friend.

"We need to tell her what's happened," Maya said as she sighed.

Carina nodded her head in agreement. "I know," she said.

"I'll talk to her..." Maya said as Carina handed her over the phone and she tapped the button to answer, "Hey, Sarah-" Maya went to speak but Sarah was quick to cut her off.

"Maddie, where the hell are you? You seriously stood me up!?" Sarah shouted down the phone annoyed.

"Woah, Sarah. It's Maya," Maya was quick to say to stop the brunette from ranting further.

"Maya? Oh hey," Sarah said nervously, realizing that she had just yelled down the phone to the older, fierce blonde instead. "Uh, I can't get hold of Maddie... We were supposed to meet up at the park and she never showed up," she told her.

Maya exhaled a sigh. "Sarah, Maddie's in hospital..." she explained briefly.

"What?" Sarah questioned in shock.

"Something happened and she's been hurt," Maya told her.

"Is-Is she okay?" Sarah asked frantically.

"No, she's in surgery at the minute," Maya explained to the brunette teenager. "We're just waiting to hear an update from Bailey," she said.