CHAPTER 9 | The Weaver

After returning to the Plaza of Memories, Braeden picks a random inn that happens to use most of our savings pooled together

After returning to the Plaza of Memories, Braeden picks a random inn that happens to use most of our savings pooled together. He says it's a necessary means of protection, so that we won't get PK-ed in our sleep. Although it should be at the top of my list of worries, my fatigue is taking precedence. I know the moment my head touches the pillow, I'll be out like a light.

Yumi, Serafina, and I stay in one room, while Braeden and Mist are in the one next door to us. Although we've gone through four floors together, I still wasn't completely comfortable around Serafina. Based on the limited interactions we have had, she seems like a genuinely kind person, who would stop at nothing to help her friends. For me, it's enough for me to trust her, but that doesn't mean I'm completely comfortable around her and ready to tell her all my deepest, darkest secrets.

"Doesn't it make you guys feel a little awkward?" Serafina asks suddenly. She is standing by the window in a pink nightgown, staring at the full moon hanging high in the sky. Her lilac hair is not longer in two braids, as it now hangs loosely around her body, falling past her waist. Her glasses sit on the nightstand next to her bed.

"What does?" Yumi replies, joining her. Her blue nightgown flutters from the breeze of the slightly ajar window.

"The emptiness. Maybe it's from being separated from our body, but I can't help but feel a sense of doom looming over me. I know we've only been in the game for a few days, but I can't get over this dread I'm feeling," Serafina explains. "I used to think it would be cool if I could live in video games, but now that I'm trapped in one, all I can think about is all the regrets I'll have if something happens to me while I'm here."

"Our bodies in real life must be suffering from being under for so long. Imagine how coma patients must feel. Unable to eat, unable to drink, unable to speak to your loved ones before you potentially go off into what could be the last battle for your life," Yumi tries to reassure her, patting her shoulder gently. "Sometimes we don't realize just how good we have it until we lose it all. The only we can do is keep our head up and fight."

"What happens if we're stuck in this game forever?"

"We won't be. Even if we aren't the first to reach the ending of the game, there are millions of players here who have an equal chance of freeing us."

I ball my hands into fists at my sides, annoyed with where the conversation has taken a turn. I hate the idea of waiting for someone to save me. If it's one thing Maê ever taught me, it's to never depend on anyone but myself. If I have the strength to get us out of here, then I'll do it. If I don't, then I'll train harder to become stronger. Will Maê finally give me the recognition I desired from her if she finds out I'm one of the few people to help save millions of lives, all through a video game?

"I'm going to bed, and you two should probably do the same," I say suddenly, curling into a ball under the bedsheets after pulling the covers over my head. "No sense worrying over something that may or may not happen," I mutter.