She just never learned how to face the ugly truth.

"You're not so young anymore, you'll have to get married someday. Keep on a lookout and find a good man to spend your life with. Not a rich guy, he'll look down on us, and you'll have a rocky relationship."

Lisa's heart filled with guilt when she heard her mother say this.

If her mother found out that she had married Jungkook, she would go crazy, right?

" Mom, your health isn't as good as it used to be. Why not close the grocery store? We can sell this house and buy an apartment in the city, you can enjoy your retirement." Lisa wasn't so financially strapped anymore. She wanted her mother to sell this place. She could provide a down payment for a new apartment in the city, where the three of them could live together.

"No, it's fine. I've become accustomed to living here over the years. I don't want to move to a new place, since I'm already familiar with the neighbors here. The other women all have big mouths, but they're not bad people. They've been a great help to the three of us over these years without your Uncle Watanabe. I like it here. In the future, after you and Haruto both start families, come visit as often as you want to. If you don't, at least I won't be bored here."

Her mother seemed to have let go...

"Mom... I'm sorry." Lisa lowered her head in guilt.

"Never mind it. I can't really blame you for what happened. A few days ago, I went to light incense at the temple and listened to a monk explain Buddhist scriptures. I couldn't understand the deep stuff he talked about, but I did understand when he said 'so long as humans are born into this world, everything is a cycle of cause and effect'. The death of your Uncle Watanabe was his fate; even if he didn't pass away to save you, he probably would still have met with some other disaster."

"Mom..." Lisa was surprised to hear her mother speak of these words.

Moreover, she actually understood it... the knot between them seemed to loosen up quite a bit.

At least her mother no longer blamed and hated her for Uncle Watanabe's death. This comforted Lisa, as she felt like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

"Your salary isn't high, but it's enough to live off of. You don't have to give Haruto money all the time, I saved up quite a bit over the years. Since Haruto is graduating soon, we'll need to help him find a wife and start a family."

"Mom, don't worry. I will help him find a wife and buy an apartment."

"Just help what you can. He's a man and needs to learn to do things on his own. It's not like he doesn't know our family situation."

"He will, Mom, Ruto is a good kid. He never spends money that he's not supposed to."

After Uncle Watanabe passed away, Lisa hadn't had the chance to peacefully converse with her mother in years.

She was deeply touched; it was a feeling she hadn't felt in years...

That night, Haruto was too excited to go to bed, and he chatted with Lisa as they sat in the rocking chair inside the yard.

Suddenly, she got a WeChat message...

Nervous, Lisa took out her phone and sneaked a peak.

It was from Jungkook...

"Where are you?" Jungkook asked.

"Home." Her reply was short.

"I'm home too, but you're not here." Jungkook thought that she was at Imperial Park.