XVI - Every King Needs An Heir

Start from the beginning

I spun on my heel, turning and going towards the exit. However, I stopped to speak to Hayley. "Right now, I have to convince the angry little hybrid that having a child is actually a positive thing. But I promise that from this point on, you are under the protection of myself and the Mikaelson's." I continued walking.

I stopped in the doorway of the tomb, then gestured to all of the witches in the small structure. "And just so you know... If any of you harm her in any way, I will know. And I will kill you all."

*

I found him in the quarter half an hour later. He looked very, very angry. Something tells me that he was about to knock a few heads together, courtesy of our dear friend Elijah. 

I decided that he needed some time to himself, so I spent an hour simply walking along the rooftops.

Later on, I caught sight of him standing beside the bartender, Camille. Even from a hundred feet away, I could hear their conversation clearly, and I could also see the moisture forming in his eyes. 

He was sad, and on the verge of tears. I knew why.

Camille, or Cami as she preferred to be called, was a psychology major. She was telling him her interpretation of a painter. She spoke of how he was angry, and dark. He doesn't feel safe, and he doesn't what to do about it. He wishes that he could control his demons, instead of letting his demons control him. 

I knew that Klaus had always felt that way. I had been the only person that had truly been with him every step of the way, aside from these past few months.

He flashed away from Cami, and I followed after him. I appeared behind him on the sidewalk of an empty street, and he turned to look at me as he heard me come. 

"Klaus," I sighed. He blinked away the brewing tears, but I opened my arms for him anyway. He went forwards, wrapping his arms around me as I did the same. 

People thought that Klaus was strong, and he was. To a point. He was like any other person, he was going to have a break down some day and I feared that this break down was coming, and soon.

"Come," I said as I pulled away. "Sit with me."

We both sat down on a bench on the other side of the street, and he leaned his elbows on his knees while I stayed with my back against the metal. 

"Klaus, I can see straight through you," I said. "You're afraid. You never had a good father figure, you never truly cared about the well being of anyone except for the rare girl or your family. But you can't run from this, Nik," He sighed at that. "You can do this, I know that you can. You can be a father to this child, the father that you never had. You think that you don't know how to be a father, but you won't be alone. You have me, and Elijah, and maybe even Rebekah, eventually."

He sighed again, leaning back and sitting against the bench. "You're right," he muttered. "I can't hide anything from you, can I?"

I shook my head. "I can also smell the blood on you, even though you washed it away. You bit someone, and it wasn't a human. Who was it?"

He sighed again. "That is a story for another time," he looked like he was about to continue, but he looked past me to the other side of the bench. "Are you here to give me another pep talk on the joys of father hood? Because Rose has already covered that, thank you."

I sighed, turning to look at Elijah. "I've said all I needed to say," he said, looking off into the distance at the many shops that lined the street.

"I forgot how much I liked this town," Klaus said sorrowfully.

"I didn't forget. All the centuries we have all spent together, and yet, I can count on one hand the amount of times that we have truly been happy. All of us," He glanced over at me, then looked at Klaus. "I hated leaving here."

"As did I," Klaus said, smiling slightly before the smile vanished as soon as it had appeared. 

"What is on your mind, brother?" Elijah asked. He practically took the words right out of my mouth.

"For a thousand years, I lived in fear. Any time I settled anywhere, our father would hunt me down and chase me off. He made me feel powerless, and I hated it," I frowned at him, placing my hand on his shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. He smiled softly at me, reaching up and holding my hand tightly before continuing. "This town was my home once, and in my absence, Marcel has gotten everything I ever wanted. Power, loyalty... Family. I made him in my image and he has bettered me. I want what he has... I want to be king," He said. 

This made me a little nervous... This wouldn't end well. But I didn't voice my thoughts, not yet. 

Elijah sighed softly, seeming to feel the same way that I did. "And what of Hayley and the baby?"

Klaus turned to look at Elijah. "Every king needs an heir," He smiled devilishly. 

Well, it looks like Klaus is about to start yet another war.

And here I am, right in the middle of it all.