Game on

"academic rivals to lovers" trope?? 

(non spider-man Peter x reader) 

Words: 1.1k

Sorry it took so long to put out! this is a request btw for  thefourthpeter 

This was your last chance to be valedictorian and get that scholarship you needed for NYU

This was your last chance to be valedictorian and get that scholarship you needed for NYU. You were always really smart, participated in extra circulars, and volunteered every chance you could. 

The only thing holding you back from valedictorian was Peter Parker.  He was smart and also on the football team, so he was popular. 

It had always been your thing with him to compete for valedictorian and last year he won, but not this year.

"For this years extra marks project, I am going to be looking for a personal portfolio on your future and why you want the marks so badly. Only one person will be qualifying for the extra marks for your senior yea. So I expect big things!" Your advanced English's teacher said, as your eyes winded. 

Only one person for extra marks. You and Peter both had 100 percent in every class, those extra marks are the only thing that would put you over him, you had to win. 

"Are you and Peter going to go head to head again?" Your friend Zoey asked, as you whipped around to stare at Peter. 

"Yes, I'm sure we will, but this time I'm going to win," you said. 

"Are we really going to have to fight over this mark Y/N?" Peter asked, leaning against the side of your locker, bomber jacket thrown over his shoulder, hair pushed back. 

You rolled your eyes and put your text book away, before slamming your locker and looking up at him. 

"I guess so, how are you going to recover being beaten by me once again?" 

"I don't think I'll ever find out," he said, winking at you and throwing on his jacket before walking off. 

God he made your blood boil. 

"He's so dreamy," you heard behind you. For sure it was one of the cheerleaders, all of them had a crush on Peter. You rolled your eyes and started towards your next class. 

After school, you took the subway to work only to find Peter at your work.  You worked at a pretty small book shop so customers were always a joy to see. Except this customer. 

"Oh hey, I didn't know you worked here," Peter smirked, as you shrugged. 

"What do you got?" You asked, pointing to the book in his hand. 

"Just a chemistry book," he said. 

"Okay, well. I'll leave you too it," you sighed, before pulling out your laptop to start working on your laptop.

"Can I ask you a question?" Peter said, placing the book on the counter a few minutes later, as you look up from your laptop. as you nodded. "Why do you want the extra credit so badly?" 

"If I want to get into college I need a scholarship, and I have the potential to win a full ride if I get a perfect average and write a essay, and they liked my essay, so it's just the marks there waiting on," you said. "My dad lost his job last year, and hasn't been able to bounce aback and all my mom's chemo bills really drained our funds. So the only way I can go to school is through this scholarship, but you can't pity me because of this. I don't like telling very many people." 

"Why did you tell me then?" Peter asked, pulling out some money for the book. Thinking about the big house he lives in, and the luxury car his dad bought him and the chance to go to school without worrying about money.

"Because I know you won't tell anyone. Even though were kinda rivals, your not a horrible person Peter Parker," you said handing him the book and his change. "Have a nice day." 

After Peter left, you finished half of your paper and closed the shop, at seven. By the time you got home, your dad had gone out for an interview and had left some leftovers in the fridge. 

This was the first interview he's had in months, so you were hoping for some good news. You heated up the food, and set up your laptop in bed, ready to finish the other half of your paper tonight so you could edit later. 

All the sudden your phone started vibrating. It was Peter. 

How did he get your number?

"Hello?" You asked, hearing him chuckle on the other end. 

"Hey Y/N, I have a question? What college are you applying for?"

"NYU, for journalism. Why?" You asked, as you heard him clicking away in the background. 

"I know a guy at NYU in the journalism department, he's been looking for some interns for the New York times column and I was wondering if I could send him your number?"  Peter said, as you dropped your fork. 

"The New York Times column?" You repeated, as Peter hummed, "uhm yeah. You can send my number his way." 

"Great, I gotta go, but I'll see you tomorrow," Peter said, you could tell he was smirking on the other end. 

"Okay, thanks," you muttered. As soon as you hung up you dropped your phone and started squealing.

Peter Parker was offering you help? Academic help non the less. 

"So I really enjoyed reading everyone's papers. I think you all are very talented people, but the winner of the extra credit mark is going to be Y/N!" You teachers said, as everyone else clapped. She then handed back all the papers submitted, you watched her hand papers back to al the people who submitted, and you noticed that she never gave Peter his paper. 

"Where's your paper?" You asked Peter, as the teacher went back to their desk. 

"Oh I didn't submit a paper," Peter said, as you jaw dropped. 

"You didn't submit a paper? Why?" You asked. 

"I couldn't give a good reason why I needed the marks," he smirked, before the teachers started talking again, leaving your mouth agape. 

"What the hell Parker!" You said, pulling him to the side of the hall after class. "I told you no sympathy!" 

"I swear that wasn't my intention, I just couldn't articulate why I needed the marks more than you. My dad is so high on the board that I don't need a scholarship and my parents can pay my way throughout school. The only gain of those marks would be personal, and that sounded pathetic compared to your actual reason," he said, as you sighed. 

"Well, thank you I guess," You smiled. 

"I know a way you can thank me. You can let me take you on a date," he smirked as your cheeked flushed red. 

"A date?" You asked as he nodded and took your hand in his. 

"I've really enjoyed talking to you these last few weeks, and I want to get to know you more," he said, pressing a kiss to the top of your hand. 

"What do you have in mind?" You playfully flirted back.