The End of Tyranny

"Are you insane?" Y/N asked.

"You're fucking delusional if you think I'm coming with you to see him of all people." Tommy yelled, "especially after-"

"Yes, I know." Wilbur said, hesitating for a moment. "Which is exactly why we need to go. We need to confront Dream, once and for all."

"and I suppose you have some miraculous plan to not get Tommy and I killed?" Y/N asked.

It had after all, been Dream's central goal to make Tommy and Y/N's life as much as a torturous hell as possible. But recently, he had been quiet. Unnoticed.

Maybe that meant he had moved on to a new goal. Which now meant Tommy and Y/N were expendable, and Dream would finish them off without a second thought.

Wilbur stood on the sandbank, adjacent to the two boats himself and Tommy had originally traveled in. He turned to face Y/N and Tommy, giving Y/N a slight grin.

He couldn't care less what happened to her anymore. It was Tommy he cared about. Tommy was all he ever cared about.

Although he had a hell of a way of expressing that brotherly affection.

"Actually, I do." Wilbur said. Y/N raised one eyebrow as a challenge to Wilbur's cocky response. Whatever came out of his mouth, Y/N would surely pick the details apart until a flaw in the plan was found. And Wilbur would surely provide rebuttal. Until the back and forth was forced to cease, likely by Tommy's own interjection.

That's just how they were. Were they enemies? Or were they trying to protect each other? Y/N wondered if it came down to it, if she would be nothing more than an expendable factor to Wilbur.

Only time could tell.

Wilbur turned to Tommy and stuck out his hand.

"Give me the discs." He asked calmly. Tommy furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and in slight shock to this request, and Y/N simply turned her head in curiosity as to how this would play out.

"What?" Tommy asked in a low whisper. "You know I can't do that Wil-"

Wilbur drew in a sharp breath, cutting off the younger man.

"Tommy." Wilbur said in a stern tone.

"Yes?" Tommy responded.

"Do you trust me?"

Tommy froze, his hands fidgeting at his sides, and his eye contact veering away from both     Y/N and Wilbur.

Trust.

Trust isn't something just given here. It had to be earned. But even then, you can't afford to trust anyone here. That's how people get hurt.

That's how people get killed.

"Wil-?" Tommy began to protest.

"It's a simple yes or no question." Wilbur said dryly, lacking the patience for Tommy's contemplation of the question.

But really it wasn't that simple, was it?

'No'

That's what Y/N would've said in a heartbeat.

At least she thought so.

After all, he didn't come looking for her when Dream had her kidnapped... twice. He didn't hesitate in giving Dream entrance to her cell.

He can't be trusted.

He can't be forgiven...

"Yes." Tommy finally responded. "I trust you."