The Return

Days went on, rescuing Skeppy was to no avail. Bad suggested we just wait it out.

"But what if he's hurt?" I asked.

Skeppy was nice to me, even from the first day when I moved in he was accepting. He helped me escape from whatever was going on with Bad and Puffy and the egg. I don't want anyone else to die for me. I won't let them.

"Can we go check up on him at least?" I pleaded.

"I mean, I guess." Bad said. It seemed he had lost hope of rescuing his best friend.

"I have an idea on how we can help Skeppy." I said.

Bads face lit up with curiosity and hope. "You do?" He asked. "Why didn't you just say so, let's go!"

We hurried down to the core of the egg, which was covered by black obsidian with large purple cracks spreading around it.

"Crying obsidian." Bad said. "The egg is breaking through the barricade."

I nodded. What would that mean? Would Bad go back to be being weird and overprotective? I hated when people did that. But it wasn't Bad. It was something else. At least that's what I've been telling myself.

I pressed my ear up to the side of the egg.

"Skeppy?" I asked. I knocked gently on the side of the egg's wall. "Skeppy if you can hear me in there, repeat after me."

I knocked on the obsidian encasing three short times. Bad stood beside me, listening closely for any sign of his friends presence. Silence. A long period of silence. Bad looked downcast. His light colored eyes stared down at the vine encased floor. My hand slipped from the side of the egg in dismay.

But then, just barely, a faint knocking returned from the other side. Bad jerked upwards. He pressed his ear against the wall, his face facing mine.

"Skeppy?" He asked. "He can hear us!"

Bad's face lit up with hope.

"Y/N, your pickaxe!" Bad said, signaling to the diamond forged pickaxe strapped to my tool belt. I looked down to it, and unstrapped the handle. I handed the tool to BBH, who eagerly took it, and readied himself to strike.

"Stand back." Bad said.

"Whoa Bad!" I said. "What if you hurt Skeppy?"

"Y/N." Bad said, turning to look at me, lowering the pickaxe. He walked up to me and put his left hand on my shoulder. "I just found out that my friend is in there, alive and well. I have to take this chance. I have to try and save him. He would do the same for me, and so would you, if I'm not mistaken."

Bad looked at me, awaiting my response.

"Very well. Yea. I would do the same thing I guess." I said. "Just, be careful. Please."

Besides the risk of hurting Skeppy, there was also the possibility of Bad returning the the state of following me everywhere and lacking his usually peppy emotion that I had grown to love.

Bad raised the pickaxe above his head, and swung it down, obsidian chunks flying everywhere. I raised my hands in front of my face, to protect it from flying debris. I lowered my arms, to see Bad peering into the opening he had created.

"Skeppy?" Bad asked. He reached his hand out, and a few seconds later, Skeppy's hand grabbed on.

Skeppy stumbled out of the broken encasing of the egg, before grounding himself.

Skeppy looked at Bad. His clothes were no longer a vibrant turquoise. They had been sapped of their color and replaced by a vibrant crimson. It was also spreading throughout his skin. He looked tired, and ill.

"Skeppy?" Bad asked again. Skeppy focused his attention on BBH. "Are you, alright?"

"I'm fine." Skeppy responded.

"Are you-do you need anything?" Bad asked, confused. "You were in there for quite a while. Food? Maybe?"

"I have no desires." Skeppy responded plainly.

"Wha-" Bad spoke. "Well then, should we go upstairs and hang out then. I haven't spoken to you in a week."

"I have no desires." Skeppy responded once again.

I cautiously approached Skeppy. He stood there, unamused or engaged by anything. Bad's face had worry and confusion written all over it. I looked at Skeppy, who stared out at nothing in particular. I reached my leather gloved hand out carefully.

"Skeppy?" I asked.

Skeppy stood silent for several moments. My outstretched hand hovered in the air.

Suddenly, Skeppy reached out, and grabbed my wrist firmly. I tried to pull it away, but his grip was strong, despite his washed out and exhausted appearance. He spun me 180 degrees around and shoved me against the wall. The magma that was coursing through the vines burning against my back and neck. I grunted in response to the sudden pain.

"Skeppy!" I spit out. "What are you doing?!"

Skeppy held one one arm across my chest, preventing me from moving, and the other held his sword, which was pointed towards my throat. I looked down the blade of the sword. It was coated in a black shimmering potion. Wither. How did he know about that? Better yet, how did he access it from inside the Egg? I grabbed at the arm that was pinning me against the wall, but between the pain of the vines against my back and Skeppy's surprising strength, it was hopeless.

"Bad!" I called out. Bad was standing behind Skeppy, not knowing what to do. "Help me!"

Bad stood still, frozen in panic.

Skeppy looked at me, radiating pure hatred.

"You...will..." Skeppy said, pushing the side of his diamond blade against my throat. I felt a warm trickle of blood run down my neck. "You...did..this. All of this. And now..."

I lost concentration on what Skeppy was going on about. My vision was going black, and the harder Skeppy pushed the blade against my throat, the harder it became to breath.

"This is your fault." Skeppy said. "This-"

Suddenly, the pressure was released, and I fell to the ground. Bad grabbed Skeppy and yanked him backwards.

"Skeppy!" Bad shouted. 

I rubbed my hand across my throat. The wither effect would surely leave a lasting mark. A burning sensation filled my lungs and throat. Skeppy re-sheathed his poisonous sword, and stood idol.  

Bad looked at me, apologetically.

"You should go back home for a while." Bad said. "Skeppy probably isn't in the best condition right now."

Oh Skeppy isn't? What about me? I just got third degree burns and almost got killed?

I stood up slowly, staying against the wall, and as far away from Skeppy as possible.

"Yea, okay." I croaked out. My throat singeing with pain. I quickly hurried out of the room and back to my room, where I lay on my bed, and let exhaustion consume me.

I didn't know how much longer I could stay here.