Interlude: Triplets

Dragonstone Castle, Dragonstone Island

116 AC

Daemon paced nervously as his wife's screams rang through the castle.

"She's done this twice already. She'll be fine." Laenor offered to Daemon. "Laena is with her as well. Mother and Rhaenyra are with Laela as well."

Rhaenyra had given birth to a baby boy named Baelor last year.

Aemon was betrothed to Laura Baratheon, one Lord Borros's daughters and thus the Stormlands firmly backed the Blacks, and whispers at court discussed Aemma and Daeron to be betrothed.

Suddenly the cry of a baby echoed. Then another baby five minutes later, and another baby three minutes later.

Triplets? Daemon wondered. Twins were rare, but triplets where rarer then dragons.

Rhaenys opened the door after a while. "Triplet girls, Daemon. Identical, all of them."

Daemon entered the room. A midwife offered him one of the baby girls wrapped in white cloth—this one had a blue ribbon around her wrist.

Laela smiled tiredly. She held another baby girl in her arms, wrapped in black. "They're the last. The one you are holding is the youngest."

"The baby girl in black is the oldest, the baby girl in red is the middle one." Laena added, holding the second oldest triplet wrapped in red in her arms.

"Shall I get Aelyx and Shaera?" Rhaenyra asked.

The Silver Lady nodded. "Yes please."

"The oldest will be named Baela, after my father." Daemon said.

"Baela Targaryen. And this one, Rhaena. After my mother." Laela agreed. "You can name our youngest."

Daemon looked down at his youngest. Lilac eyes—his father's eyes—met his and she cooed, shifting in her blankets.

"Alyssia. After my mother, Princess Alyssa." the Rogue Prince decided.

Nursey, Dragonstone Castle

116 AC

Baela, Rhaena, and Alyssia were placed in cradles. Since they were identical, the names of the princess were carved into each cradle.

Aelyx, of course, insisted on placing dragon eggs in his sisters cradles. 

Laena placed the three eggs form Vhagar's latest clutch in—green and pearl for Baela, black and dark sapphire for Rhaena, and cerulean blue and gold for Alyssia.

At six, Aelyx had bonded with Vermithor while Shaera had bonded with Grey Ghost. 

Neither had ridden their dragons yet—Aelyx would next year while Shaera would wait until she was six or seven since Grey Ghost was much calmer than Vermithor.

"They're perfect." Daemon whispered, holding his wife close. "Thank you."

"For what?" the Pearl of the Sea asked confused.

"Giving me a family." the Rogue Prince murmured.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it.