23- The still before the storm

You wouldn't say that Maddy was a particularly difficult person to get gifts for, but she could definitely be a bit of a challenge. To be honest, though, most of the challenge came from trying to top the other gifts she'd be receiving. You knew Nate would give her something less from the heart and more from the wallet. Even though you hoped not, an amazing gift may just be the little push needed to get them back together. Cassie, on the other hand, was giving her something from the heart, something that took some creativity and time.

So it left you stuck between the two, but ultimately you chose the genuine route rather than the material one. After Cassie had told you she was going to give Maddy a scrapbook of them, it gave you a genius idea. So after downloading at least a thousand videos and pictures from when you and her met till now and having to buy extra storage for your phone. Along with paying some kid, you had a graphic design class with in your sophomore year. Your genius idea was a reality and although you'd only given yourself a sneak peek, wanting to watch it in full for the first time with her. You could already tell Maddy was going to absolutely love it. So after the cake and candles, you pulled her aside, wanting your gift to be more of a private matter.

"Okay before I show you let me tell you I haven't like seen it and I did pay for this so please even if you hate it be nice and pretend you love it."

You gave her a sweet smile and Maddy chuckled.

"Bitch, calm down and show me it already." She took the laptop from you, immediately opening it and quickly typing in the password. "I'm sure I'll love it as much as I love you."

She flashes you a smile, and you're quick to cave, with nervous fingers you show her the video. You watch with almost teary eyes, flickering between Maddy and the screen. It was an almost awkward and definitely cringe feeling, seeing these old photos and videos of the two of you. Although they were only a few years old, it felt like forever ago. But besides the cringe from face and voice warping Snapchat filters, and just seeing your younger self in general, there was something else. A bit of nostalgia, or maybe you were just now feeling the dark shadow of regret and sentimentalism that birthdays always carry. You and Maddy were both crying by the time the video ended, so you knew you'd gotten your money's worth.

She pulled you into a tight hug, showering you with praise and "I love you"'s

"So you like it?" You asked already knowing the answer.

"Bitch, I love it." She laughed. "I told you I would."

"I know, I was just wanting to make sure."

You both took a moment to collect yourself, wiping away stray tears and setting aside the sadness and getting back to the festive part of birthdays.

"Any of you snitches to your parents about this, your days at the Howard house are finito burrito." Suze jokingly warns as she enters the kitchen.

"Never that Suze"

With the exception of Cassie, all of you cheer and toast, taping your drinks together.

"To my beautiful girls."

The night continued and so did the partying. You all drank, laughed and danced, but eventually you found yourself left on the dance floor with Lex and Suze. Truthfully, you wouldn't say what they were doing was exactly dancing, but they were having fun, so who cared. When Maddy did return to the floor she brought Kat with her and although a smile played on her lips, Kat's eyes told another story.

"Can I ask you something?" She whispered.

With a nod, you took her hand into yours and found somewhere a bit quieter to talk, taking Kat to the dining room.

"So what's up?" You ask her as you take a seat.

"Did you and um Fez ever get back together?"

"Yea." You smiled, a smile that burned your cheeks. "We just got back together."

The question caught you off guard, but not that the subject was one you wanted to avoid or felt was too touchy to talk about with Kat. You'd only briefly mentioned the whole you and fez getting back together situation to her and Cassie, mostly because you had to keep out the part with him and Lexi. You always preferred a private relationship anyway. Everyone who really needed to know about the two of you already knew, and those who didn't know didn't need to.

"Did it feel how you thought it would?" She asked carefully not for you but for her.

"Honestly yes." Again you smiled, harder this time. "It was weird, it kinda feels like we never broke up at all. It's the same relationship, but like with a clean slate."

You looked at Kat, and her face held a certain concern that quickly dimmed your mood.

"I'm happy, or I guess we are, if that's what you're asking." You took a breath before speaking, worried you may be overstepping if your assumption was wrong. "And are you and Ethan happy?"

A panicked expression flashes across Kat's face before she hides it with a smile.

"No, I mean yea we're uh we're fine." She looks down. "Well, not fine, we're like together but— I don't know, it just doesn't feel right. I'm like fucking miserable with him and I have no reason to be."

A frown pulled the corner of your lips, and you pulled Kat into a hug. Relationships have always and will always be complicated. Ethan was a nice guy sure and yes, he and Kat did like each other, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. There is a certain pressure and expectation that surrounds relationships, a fog of fantasy and fairy tale that many if not most do not live up to. You gave Kat your honest advice and prayed that she'd follow it, regardless of what it meant for her and Ethan's relationship. Her happiness, or at least her not being "fucking miserable" should come first.

The rest of the night was a far cry from its earlier joy, it brought a devastating cloud of chaos and tragedy. One that followed for the next few days. Nate eventually came, only bringing Maddie a necklace for her birthday. Cassie drank herself sick and threw up in the pool while she cried and apologized to Maddy. At the time it was sad, but knowing what you know now it was worse, much worse. Some people just can't help themselves, but the truth always comes out. One way or another.