8- A different point of view

Trigger warnings: Rue begging Fezco for drugs, mentions of drugs and addiction

You wondered if those two weeks meant anything. The same way, you wondered if that time in rehab meant anything. Maybe it was a situation like the one with Mouse. Dangerous and forceful. And though Rue was happy once she was high, she was still somewhat coerced into taking them.

Or maybe she hit some kind of breaking point.

"Fez? Fez Ive had a really fucked up day, all right? Look, it's been a really fucked up day, okay?" Her eyes gloss over and tears begin to form.

Something that stressed her to desperation where she felt drugs were the only thing that could fix it. To you, it didn't make sense, but you weren't an addict, so of course it didn't. For Rue, this was the only way to fix or forget whatever had happened that drove her here.

"So I need you to open the door for me, okay?" Her voice started to sound wary, losing its false playfulness. "Can you open the door, please?"

You wished more than anything to on the other side of that door, but no. Instead, you stood frozen in place watching his all happen. Well, technically hearing it from the stairs. You came just to talk and leave. But now you found yourself wondering how many times in the past, Fezco had been in this exact position. If not with Rue, then maybe with other people, other friends or even people he considered family like her. Who started out curious but overtime escalated more and more become addicted, overdosed and even died.

"I'm not gon help you kill yourself, Rue." He paused and shook his head slightly. "I'm sorry, but you can't be coming over here no more." He starts to close the door. "Just go home."

"Don't-- Fez! Don't close the--." She yells, but he ignores her ad shuts the door. "Fuck! Fez." Rue bangs on the door. "Open the fucking door, please? I'm begging you, just open the door."

He presses his head to the door and closes his eyes.

"Fez! You're full of shit, man" There's an obvious desperation in Rue's tone, her angry only adds to it. "You know you make your living off of selling drugs to teenagers. And now all of a sudden you want to have a fucking moral high ground?"

Fezco turns away from the door and remained silent. Staring at the ground while Rue continued to spew harsh words. But quickly they go from harsh to just plain out mean.

"You're a fucking dropout drug dealer. You know that? You're a fucking dropout drug dealer with seven functioning fucking brain cells." She bangs against the door. "Open the door! Fuck you! Fuck you, Fez. Okay? Are you doing this because you care about me? If you gave a shit about me, you wouldn't have sold me the fucking drugs in the first place! But you did! You fucking did!"

He sighs, riddled with guilty, and runs his hand over his head.

"So open the goddamned door! Open the door!"

"I can't do it, Rue. I'm sorry."

"Open the door!" She repeats four times. "You did this to me! You fucking -- You did this to me, Fez. You fucking ruined my life! The least you could do is open the goddamned door and fix it!"

You weren't sure how long you'd been listening, but it felt so slow and so agonizing. Listen to your sister beg and plead with Fezco. Quickly abandoning her false chill demeanor once she realized he wasn't budging and becoming mean and nasty.

"I'm fucking serious. I'm so fucking serious. If you don't open this door right now, I swear to God, I will hate you, till the day I fucking die."

"I'm sorry." Is all he mutters before leaving the door.

"You fucking did this to me!" She sobs as she bangs on the door. "Open the fucking door. Open the door, Fez. Come on, man!" Her bangs become rapid. "This is so fucked up!" 

It almost didn't sound like Rue at all, not a version of her that you knew. And it wasn't like Rue had never said awful things to you before. Because she had many, many times she had, but this wasn't just anger or frustration. It was dependency, need, desperation. Addiction.

Fezco found you at the stairs, where you'd been this entire time. The eye contact was immediate. For a moment, neither of you spoke, letting Rue's words clear from the air like dust and debris. You tried to speak eventually, but you didn't know what to say and even if you did, it wasn't like anything would come out. Nothing that would make sense.

"I'm sorry."

You attempt again to form or muster up anything to say, but still nothing. What, You rush past him and go to the door, but by the time you get there Rue is gone. Quickly, your focus shift from what Rue said to where she was.

"Do you know where she's going?" Your voice cracked while you spoke between sobs.

He opens his mouth to say something, anything that would comfort you, but he closes it and holds himself back. He shrugs and shakes his head.

"It's --." You take a breath in an attempt to calm yourself. "It's fine, I have her um location"

"That's good." He nods. His words are empty and there's a resounding frown on his face.

A beat of silence, then another and another. The two of not speaking and just sort of standing there. No eye contact this time, Fezco makes sure of it. After what just happened with Rue, he can't bring himself to look you in the eyes.

"C-can you help me look for her." A pause. "I don't -uh have a car and Rue's probably on her bike." You added to rationalize with him.

Fezco sighs and nods before going to get his keys. You weren't sure how long you and Fez spent following Rue. But you knew it had to have been some time, quickly the sun faded from the sky and the road was lit by streetlights. You found her eventually at some diner doing god knows what.

"You need me to take yall home?" He asks, eyes still not meeting yours.

The first thing he's said the entire drive. It takes you a moment to answer, but you decide against it.

"No, I'll just call us and Uber."

He nods and the silence returns. You leave the car and go inside the diner, where you find Rue talking to an older man. It doesn't look like some kind of drug deal, so you waited and let then continue to talk. After a few minutes, your phone pinged with a notification. A text.

𝙵𝚎𝚣

𝚃𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚖𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚢𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚑𝚘𝚖𝚎 

𝙿𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚎

You smiled at first at his concern, something that others seemed to be lacking when it came to you. But quickly it fades once your eyes set on the messenger.  It was just a blank contact. Only his name and number, a far cry from what it once was. But a sadly accurate depiction of you and him now.

𝙸 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕