2 - Another Goodbye

'Oh, you're awake.'

My eyes shot open, as I remembered the one person who changed my entire life.

Sylvia.

Instead of getting into a fighting stance as I have in the past, I acted confused and started looking around. Looking at the corpse to the left, I uttered the same words I said before.

"I swear to God if this corpse is the one that's talking..."

A melodic chuckle made me look around for the source of the voice.

'Do not worry. You won't have to worry about that corpse reanimating.'

Keeping up my act, I continued this until I eventually arrived at Sylvia's dwelling.

'Child. Go on and enter through the crevice, but strengthen yourself with mana before you do.'

Even though I was expecting the drop this time, I still let out a otherworldly scream to keep up the act.

"We finally meet child." Sylvia said with a grin.

Acting as any other 4 year old child would do, I stumbled backwards while having a shocked look on my face.

"W-What are you?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"We finally meet," it repeated with a lazy half smile that revealed a row of pointed teeth.

Eying Sylvia as I had done before, I was considering that this timeline could be different. One where Sylvia wasn't as injured so I could spend more time with her. Much to my disappointment, the same wound marked her chest.

"As for what I am, I won't say anything more than what you can see from looking," the horned humanoid said with her eyes seeming to gaze straight through me.

"It is going to take to a while for me to open a dimensional rift that will transport you to your house, so until then, just be patient and wait here. There are special roots that grow here. You will be able to live off those until I finish," she sighed.

Giving a courteous bow, I replied, "Thank you for everything you've done for me and what you will do. If there is any way I can repay you, I will do for you whatever is in my power."

"Such good manners for a child. Do not worry; I am expecting neither a favor nor your gratitude. I am simply doing this for my own amusement. Come! Sit here closer to me and keep me company. I haven't talked to anyone in a while," the being laughed, patting an area of its throne for me to sit on.

Instead of climbing like last time, I eagerly willed what mana I had in my core into my legs and jumped up. 'Should've just done that last time...'

"Uhh... excuse me for being rude, but you don't exactly look like a lady. How should I exactly address you as?" I said, making eye contact with the being.

"You're right. I don't exactly look like a lady, now do I? I wonder why I said that. My name is Sylvia," she replied, letting out a soft chuckle.

After this, almost everything went the same for the next few months. I "learned" mana rotation again, but Sylvia caught on to something.

"Art you've learned that technique very quickly, have you heard of it somewhere before?" Sylvia asked with a glare very similar to her fathers'.