19 - Suprise

"Dad, are you seriously thinking about joining the soldiers at the wall?" I asked, looking at my father from across the table we were sitting at.

"Hmm? Where did you hear that from?" He asked, a look of confusion plastered on his face.

"Just a feeling..." I said in a low tone.

"Well it is true. I was thinking about joining the Twin Horns at the wall. There are many people in need of assistance there and i'd like to help."

"What about Mom and Ellie? You're just going to leave them here while you fight in the war...?" It got quiet, and there was a small amount of tension growing in the air.

"Arthur, no offense, but isn't that what you're doing? You're going to be a soldier, right? Leaving your family to fight for the greater good? For Dicathen?"

"This is different!" I shouted. "We aren't the same... I've always been familiar with combat and war. I just want you all to live nice lives, being away from the battlefield. That's why i'm fighting now. For you... For Mom... For Ellie. So that we can all live in peace again."

"Art, I understand, but you can't just make that decision for me."

"Like hell I can't... I'll just tell Gra- Commander Virion to not let you past the guards. I'm not letting you fight out there, not without someone of immense strength. The Twin Horns can hold their own, but what'd happen if a S-Class beast were to show up? Do you really think all of you would be able to beat it without me, or another lance there?" I asked, trying to lace my words with as much authority as possible.

"With the numbers we have, beating normal mana beasts beyond the wall wouldn't be that hard, even if it's an S class beast, shouldn't there be enough troops to stop it?" Shifting his posture in the chair he was sitting in, the conversation suddenly felt more serious than it was before.

"They aren't normal." I said.

"Wait, what? What do you mean they 'aren't normal'?"

"The Alacryans attack with the beasts, but the beasts don't attack them. They aren't tamed beasts either, so they're ravenous and unpredictable." We heard from our side, where Caera had entered the room.

Before I could say anything she had already said, "I got tired of waiting, so I left the courtyard and let myself in." Turning to my dad, she continued, "Mr. Leywin, are you serious about going to the wall? It's not somewhere just any mage could be."

"See, even Caera agrees." I said.

"Let me finish, Art. It's not somewhere I recommend normal mages to be, but I did manage to find this a few years back on a trip in the beast glades." Holding up a bright red beast core the size of her palm, she smiled. The small core, seemed to radiate with power. My eyes shot open when I realized why it felt like that.

"Don't tell me that it has a-"

"Yup, It has a beast will. It's from an A-Class Blazing Wolf. It should work well, considering your father has an affinity for fire."

Looking over at my father, he looked back at me and then Caera. "I-I couldn't possibly take that from you Caera, it would be better for you wouldn't it?" He asked, shocked that something so valuable would be given to him without a second thought.

"Catch."

The core was tossed to my father, and he caught it. Holding it with care, he seemed nervous, but also excited.

"I guess, in time, exceptions might be made... Until you fully grasp the power behind that beast will, if you even manage to obtain it, I'd listen to Arthur, and not go to the wall." Caera said, pulling a chair up to the table we were sitting at.