38. The terrible conclusion

The night before the disgrace, Peter, Sirius, and Lupin argued; there was shouting, insults, tears, and it didn't come to blows, because Remus left the barracks before losing his senses.

Tensions were at sky-high levels, which were stretched to breaking point. It was the first time the four of them had not seen each other for more than two months, something that affected Sirius, who was also forbidden to visit the Potters.

In fact, everyone but Peter was forbidden to go see the Potters.

The wind hit his face, and after walking aimlessly for two long hours, he returned to the barracks with his eyes closing from sheer exhaustion. He had not smoked for more than four years and, out of sheer rage, during that brief period he found the empty pack in his hands.

Sirius and Peter were gone; in their place he was greeted by Molly, who in her pajamas was trying to calm little Ron's sobs, smiled at the boy, because he was just the same as his brothers and innocent like Harry, James and Lily's son, a naughty boy, who bore the Potter surname with great pride.

In a way, he paid no attention to the fact that this would be his last night, where he could sleep for more than ten hours and stay in bed all day, just thinking.

At least, until he felt those bonds tighten together, he got out of bed and walked down the stairs of the house, his mouth trembling.

The clock chimed; it was already ten o'clock and Arthur pressed the letter, which was a simple note, which gave them the fatal news.

"They are dead" Arthur muttered, Lupin reached over and took the letter "James and Lily; the spy was Sirius, because he murdered Peter, and a dozen Muggles."

He tried to find the threads that bound him to those people, however he couldn't feel them, there was only one bond; Sirius's that clung to Lupin.

Remus left the house, went to the first phone booth he could find and with the few coins he had in his pocket, he dialed the only person that came to his mind.

"Hello? Who am I speaking to?"

She burst into tears, held onto the phone, and began to say.

"Gra-Grant, please... Come" she sobbed, "I-I'm Remus... I need you."

"Where are you?" Remus said with difficulty, unable to hold back the agonizing grief, "I'll be right there! DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID!"

He arrived first thing in the morning to find Lupin in the kitchen, his head resting on his hand, his eyes red from crying and his fingernails tearing at the counter; Grant just hugged him (what else could he do?). He was still hallucinating at the sight of the house that appeared just by feeling the floor, so he listened to Remus' wailing and, although he refused at first, he ended up accepting his request.

They got on the first direct bus, when they arrived at Godric's Valley, they found the large hole that had caused the explosion, several aurors prowled the area and unmemorized the Muggles. Grant made no comment, though he wanted to make many, it was the first time he had seen magic, instead he tried to look as close to Lupin as possible (like a brother) so they wouldn't get suspicious.

The aurors knew it was Lupin, and after asking him for proof that his identity was true, they let him pass; he bit his lip until it bled, via the ruined Potter house, trying to hold back the urge to scream. Grant peered out, to look into the large hole, seeing a limitless depth, and a small human remains beside the bush.

It was a pinky.

『 °*- ღ -*°』

38/46