24. Back To Trust

In those days, it was normal for all wizards' spouses, who were Muggles, to keep a gun in their bedroom, next to their make-up and creams.

The Lupin's were a half-blood family. Lyall was a pureblood, but he fell in love with a Muggle named Hope, who the only thing he knew about magic was what every child in kindergarten was told:

That it didn't exist.

When she met Lyall, he didn't tell her that he was a wizard, although she suspected that his love interest was singular, since he dressed strangely, used weird terms and, whenever they went out, unexpected things happened around him. It was when he asked her to become an official couple that he revealed the whole truth and Hope couldn't have been more relieved.

"Thank goodness it was just magic, and you're not insane" the woman exclaimed, "because if you came out with something like that, we'd have to make some real changes."

In that statement, Hope expressed the unvarnished truth. No matter what, Lyall's life continued to be magical and Hope's ordinary; she had her profession at the bank but made efforts to learn all the basics about that "b" side. The first time she saw the magical creatures, right after Lyall dissolved the fog from her sight, was one of the most wonderful moments of her life.

To meet such an amazing place, after being convinced all her life that none of it existed, seemed unreal to her.

Still, nothing much changed.

She made friends with her boyfriend's friends, went to the strangest Christmas party of her life, where her kind mother-in-law tested her nerves, making her float through the air and, she, with her nerves of steel did not lose her temper, managing to win the blessing of the Lupin family. They married and she had Remus.

The pregnancy was hurried and difficult. Lyall knew that because she was a non-magician, her body was not coded to bear magical children, and yet Hope would not give up.

When she saw Remus' eyes for the first time looking expectantly at her, Hope knew that those pains were worth it. Her heart was filled with an inexplicable love, one she could only express with tears, as she held the tiny creature in her arms.

All those experiences made Hope stronger. Deciding to keep a gun in her personal items; "just in case". Lyall would tell her rumors happening in the magical world and read the newspapers she left at home while babysitting Remus.

A "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Name", who was powerful, and even the magical community feared him. She would save the most important pages and then go about her day-to-day life.

She tried to raise Remus as best she could, but the boy grew up developing his father's introverted character; however, he had that kind smile of Hope. He was smart, passionate, and very magical.

Hope thought they were safe. That when Lupin turned four, she and Lyall could give him a brother or sister and thus prove that, regardless of their origins, they were a close-knit, loving family.

That wolf took away all fantasy and for the first time, Hope hated magic, because of it, her son suffered every month.

Because of magic, she feared her son in transformations.

Because of magic, they had to move constantly.

Because of magic, she healed her Remus' self-inflicted injuries.

Because of magic, she tried to hold Remus when he cried in agony.

She began to distrust the magical, refusing Lyall to link Lupin with any magical ties. It was bad enough that he was a werewolf. Depression attacked the woman, and such was her pain that her body was never fertile again.

Not giving up, she quit her job at the bank, to be with her son. Arguments with Lyall were frequent, and they pretended to love each other in front of Remus.

They did it for him.

It was a hard period, and she never imagined that another stranger would help her regain what she had lost.

He was old, wise and had a certain way with words; he dressed strangely, which showed his magical background, and all he wanted was Remus.

To educate him. To take his son away from her.

She got into a heated fight with the man. Lyall called him by his last name, which she couldn't remember because of how strange it was. She stepped in and wouldn't let him talk to her son.

Not until he convinced her. Lyall left the room and let them talk alone.

"Your son, despite all the unfortunate events of his short life, is a wizard" the warm-voiced man said. "I know it must be hard for a mother to go through what you went through, but if you continue to lock your son in that overprotective bubble, you will only hurt him more."

"He took him from me!" Hope burst into tears "I don't want him taken away from me again!"

"Magic won't take him away, Mrs. Lupin" she reassured, grasping the woman's hand in a tender gesture "magic will bring him closer to you. It will help him find himself again. It will make him stronger."

"The only thing I want is his safety."

"I promise you that he will be in the safest place."

She decided to believe again. Because magic still had a couple of chances left to be able to recover that turbulent relationship with her.

Her name was Hope. The man's eyes smiled at her, making her feel young again, she could almost feel the weight of her newborn son in her arms, or the gentle caresses of her husband.

She saw her son, and she did it for him, love was stronger, it had to be stronger.

"Calm down, Hope." The man pulled from his tunic a small stick, very similar to the wand with which Lyall expressed all his magic. "Throw that gun away and keep this: it will help you channel all the rage inside you."

She knew she was lying, that inside her, she harbored no magic, and yet she obeyed the words of that stranger, because that was what her heart told her was right.

『 °*- ღ -*°』

24/46