26. The Lupin's Neighbor

There was a time when the Lupin's lived in the middle of nowhere.

At least they weren't the only ones who lived there.

It was a deserted place, both in the literal and figurative sense of the word. The nearest town was a twenty-minute drive away, the vegetation was non-existent, it was too hot in the summer and the winter was accompanied by a cold that didn't leave you alone.

Remus didn't like living there, because the house looked unnatural in the middle of that blank canvas, he felt that their home was too big for the three of them, despite having two rooms and only one floor.

To make matters worse, the wolf preferred to go for a walk in a lush, damp, and eternal meadow. There, on the other hand, the landscape was repetitive, dry, and lonely.

His parents didn't seem happy there either, but they told him it would be momentary, while they sorted out some of Lyall's problems at the ministry; problems that Remus was never a part of, because he was too young to understand them.

It could have been Remus's worst summer by far, since he was twelve at the time and everything that happened was transcendental, he even had to refuse to go to James's house twice, because the dates proposed by his friend fell right on the full moon, and he didn't propose others either.

It could have been, however, it wasn't: because of him and the family next door.

Before Sirius, there was another boy who made him understand the beauty of the world, one that could only be appreciated through ordinary eyes, crooked teeth and huge smiles: his name was Grant Chapman¹; he didn't like his last name, he loved reading comics, he had an older sister who listened to loud music locked in her room, and he liked cats even though he was allergic to them.

Grant was a Muggle, like his whole family, which was a relief to Remus, because whenever a full moon ended, he could go and tell him that he was literally a werewolf (boy) and Grant wouldn't believe him, so he didn't feel the guilt of the lie.

That child taught him the "b" side of simplicity. That being vulgar and, from time to time, indulging in laziness, was not all bad. He learned to play hopscotch, shuffle cards, and spend hours thinking about nothing.

It was a mutual exchange, though; not for nothing did Grant tell him he was a nerd who went to a school for gifted kids orb brainless with lots of money. Remus taught him that he could read more than DC and Marvel, and that studying (from the proper perspective) was fun.

Grant, unlike Remus, was a social butterfly, something that made him nervous and pushed him out of his comfort zone. From time to time, Remus would arrive home, as he was wont to do, encountering children he didn't know and would just listen to the conversations going on around him. He told Grant once, but the boy smiled telling him:

"The moment you realize that they don't really listen to you, because they're worried about their next story— which must be better than the one you're telling— talking is easy."

It was one afternoon, after a month of knowing each other and being best friends, while the two were reading in Grant's room, that he realized that perhaps neither of them were like the other boys.

"Hey Remus, have you ever kissed a girl?"

That question threw him off, he shook his head and then looked at the comic book Grant was reading, where Batman was passionately kissing Catwoman while they were hanging from a building.

"I did, but I didn't like it" Grant explained, approaching Remus, and putting the magazine aside. "Maybe there's something wrong with me."

"Why?" Lupin asked, closed the book and licked his lips. "Don't say that I don't think there's anything wrong with you."

They were silent and for a moment they looked at each other, Grant's eyes outlined each scar— which at that moment weren't that many—and Remus noticed the thin freckles on his chin.

"Have you ever wanted to kiss a boy?"

That was the trigger, Lupin only had to nod before Grant pressed his lips to his own. It was their first kiss, and Remus was sure it couldn't have been more perfect.

For the innocence of the after.

There was no fear, no worry or anger, only laughter and more kissing. It was their secret, which they shared whenever they saw each other.

They never determined if they were sweethearts or if they were ever in love. They were comfortable with each other, and that was what mattered; he liked kissing Grant because he tasted sweet, and Grant liked Remus because of his embarrassing reactions.

At the conclusion of the summer, they parted ways, Remus returned to school pretending happiness and was met with the curious wager of James, Peter, Sirius, and Him (though it was forced) as to who would give their first kiss; Peter won by kissing a Hufflepuff girl, Sirius followed, and then James. Remus was left without kissing anyone, even though Marlene and Dorcas, just to be kind, told them that they didn't mind if their first kiss was with a boy as cute as he was.

Or at least that's what everyone thought, Remus had never had his first kiss. He was totally inexperienced in the matter of love.

If only they knew...

In the summer of third year, his friends were so worried about Remus, since he wasn't answering their letters, that they managed to locate him (God knows how) and went to his house in the middle of nowhere; they all met Grant, the five of them slept over at the Lupin's house, and after verifying that their friend was still alive, they left.

Grant was a year older than Remus, perceptive and annoying. The week after the rest of the boys visited, as they ate watermelon, Grant kept smiling at him.

"Answer me, Remus," began Grant, who spoke more slowly, to avoid getting cocks in his voice, "Is there any truth to the belief that all boarding schoolboys are gay?"

"What nonsense are you talking?!" "James is crazy about a girl; Peter has a girlfriend and Sirius is a total hormonal freak."

"So, you're just the faggot of the group? Because if you are, I won't have to worry about other pretty (and rich-looking) boys taking you away from me" Lupin rolled his eyes and then shrugged "That's good!"

"I don't like the sound of the word faggot."

Grant smiled at him, moved to his lips, and planted a tender kiss.

"You'll have to get used to it, Remus" Grant assured him "At least you're not the only fag in this room."

Faggot: as if a stupid label defined his whole life.

『 °*- ღ -*°』

26/46

If before the clarification I'm about to make, you know who I referred to with Grant; Will you marry me? Because I already have the wedding dress reserved. I'm yours. Ok no, but minimum, friends (with benefits, AJJA).

1) Grant: This is a reference to an OC from the fanfic All the young dudes (ATYD) by MsKingBean89, considered by many (and by me), the fanfic of excellence of the marauders. 100% recommended, if you want a story that fills your heart (I'm rereading it, and I don't read fics anymore).

THE_MACHINE