Day six; corn/mirror/death maze

something something emotional about new book being titled percy jackson and the olympians something halloween something hope you enjoy!

Pairing: PLATONIC Jason Grace & Frank Zhang x gn!reader (Cameo's of Lester, Meg, Thalia, Percy, Annabeth, Leo, Nico and Will)

Word count: 1.2k

Warnings: I suppose canon compliant violence and some cursing. Terrible corn puns.

- Asja

Some might wonder; how does one grow a cornfield within a week? For those smart enough to understand that you do not ask these questions in the world of Gods and myths, the answer would not be given. For those stupid enough to ask this question out loud, as you are with your teammates for the death maze, you would be condoned to Jason Grace; the newly found agricultural academic.

You see, somehow Jason had found out about the corn/mirror/death maze, and he figured that the best way to win is to know everything about corn, and to the extend corn mazes.

"Did you know that the first corn maze is believed to be created in 1993?" Jason eagerly said as you were blindfolded. You see, instead of the maze having an entrance and a finish, the hunters were to put each team in a random spot in the maze. It was then up to the teams to escape. "The best fertilizer for corn is nitrogen and phosphorus, but I think they got children of Ceres and Demeter to grow this corn." Jason had been going at this for the past 30 minutes as soon as you were paired with him and Frank. Frank hummed in response to everything Jason had been saying, seemingly not minding the corn infodump, you however were getting exasperated.

"Hey! Don't worry Jace, I also got a corn fun fact!" you were happy they couldn't see your shit eating grin right now, "Did you know that corn is also called maize, because it is easy to get lost in its incredible flavour?" This time you heard Thalia who was driving the card groan loudly.

"And Colonel Cornelius Cornwall, how is this information going to help us?" You asked Jason and you heard Frank stifle a laugh. It was comforting to hear the people around you as you were carted away further into the maze.

"I don't know but it might-" Jason sighed, "Look, I barely had anything to do in the past few days and then I fell down a rabbit hole of corn."

"I think you got lost in a maze of corn, Jason." Frank joked and you laughed. You heard Jason groan.

"Okay that's enough I am just going to drop you guys here." She said as she stopped the cart, "I will not take any more of these jokes." As she helped you off the cart, she reminded you to wait with removing the blindfolds until the starting bell rang.

───────────

It had been five minutes since the bell rang. You had underestimated how a corn/mirror/death maze would involve each of these themes. When you removed your blindfolds, you were in an actual mirror maze. However, some mirrors were randomly forming spikes, which they then would shoot out.

Before you could figure out how to navigate this, the entire mirror maze was destroyed by plants.

"COMING THROUGH!!" you heard the shrill voice of meg scream as thick vines busted through all the mirrors. For a second you saw Lester, clinging to one of the vines, tears streaming down his face as he screamed. Then, it was all gone.

"What just happened?" You asked as you looked at Frank and he shook his head.

"The war has started, let's get going." Frank straightened his back and turned to Jason.

"Not so fast." Nico's voice spoke from behind you. Suddenly, skeletal arms grabbed your, Frank and Jason's legs. Nico walked around you and he smiled.

"It's revenge for the flour, (Y/n)." Will explained for his boyfriend, "Sorry, I tried to convince him not to."

"I'm not sorry, see you later." Nico grabbed Will by the hand, and shadow travelled away. Almost immediately, victory bells sounded.

"He shadow travelled to the finish." Jason gaped and you laughed.

"Why am I not surprised? Let's get out of here though."

───────────

Eventually, you managed to get lose from the skeletons, only to enter the official corn part of the maze. Sometimes you heard screams from far away, and you truly hoped that it was just the hunters scaring the participants and not actual screams of terror.

This hope was proven to be in vain, as you were faced with a small, yet menacing mechanical minotaur.

"Oh, so that is why Leo was making these," Jason noted, before you were forced to run. Jason was leading the way- taking turns every so often, but you failed in shaking the minotaur off. You didn't have the tools to fight it- but you were getting tired of running.

Suddenly there was a wall, a second later, there was a minotaur in front of you.

"(Y/n)!" Frank pulled you back and blocked the hit of the minotaur with a shield. You looked behind you and saw more weapons on the floor. However, before you could grab one the minotaur collapsed, showing a heaving Percy, Annabeth not far behind.

"Who-" Percy took a deep breath, "the fuck decided to put monsters in here! I just wanted to celebrate Halloween!" Percy angrily glared at Frank.

"Thank you for saving us!" You yelled, and Percy just did a peace sign in return, not looking back.

"The maze was all hunters!" Frank put his hands up in defence, still shaken by the minotaur, "Neither Hazel nor me planned this! We just agreed to letting them use the field!"

"Fair enough," Percy grumbled as he stepped back and turned to walk away.

"I do not want be here anymore." Percy sighed.

"We'll get out faster if you don't complain, seaweed brain." Annabeth teased him as they went on their way.

───────────

Would you have liked that to be the end? Well that's too bad, because you noticed smoke coming up from the corn not too far away from you.

"Gods Leo is making it the burning maze." You worriedly looked around, none of the corn around you was on fire for now.

"I feel like I might die if we don't make it out quick." Jason said, "I could fly up to see how we get out?"

"And give away our position?!" Frank screamed, frantically trying to calm himself, "Jason, I am sure that even more danger would come from that."

"If I get hit, then so be it!" Jason laughed half-heartedly, "A bit of self-sacrifice is a part of demigod life."

You send Jason a horrified look. Frank seemingly was in the same boat as you as he hit Jason on the head.

"You are going to therapy, Jason," Frank sighed, "As your praetor I command it but also as your friend. Don't say those things out loud, please." Jason half nodded in response.

Eventually you made third place in escaping the corn/mirror/death maze! Nico and Will were first, Meg and Lester second. Percy had heard your commotion and gladly took the newly made path that you left behind, telling Annabeth that he would never again participate in games organized by the hunters.

"You know what, I am done," Frank stretched his arms above him, "Time to take one from Meg's book, get on we are leaving." As Frank transformed into a bear you realized his plan.

"We better hold on tight," Jason warned you, as he grabbed the back of your jacket. Frank did not hesitate and started running straight through the corn walls.