18. In the Dark

The past fifty hours had been nothing but stressful. Akaashi had been in and out of sleeping and no one could properly wake him up. Bokuto hadn't managed to talk either, his mind and body much too exhausted to talk.

Akaashi had been checked out of the hospital but his sleeping place was on the couch in Bokuto's room. Bokuto's parents kept him fed and warm along with making sure he was able to be okay. When he was awake enough to move he was by Bokuto's side and would lay his head on his chest for a while. Bokuto wouldn't wake up often but he did when Akaashi was right there.

"Keiji? Keiji honey what are you doing?"

Akaashi waved off Bokuto's mother and walked over to the bed where Bokuto was sleeping. He tapped Bokuto's arm hurriedly. "Kotarou?"

Bokuto startled a bit. He looked over. Akaashi sighed in relief.

"I thought you stopped breathing." Akaashi gulped. "I'm sorry." Bokuto closed his eyes and huffed. Akaashi looked to Bokuto's mother. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay. Go ahead and lay with him."

Akaashi eased into the bed with him and Bokuto twitched slightly. "Sorry."

Bokuto eased an arm up and touched his chest. "Mm..."

"Is he trying to speak?"

"He's likely just wanting you to love on him."

Bokuto hummed in response. Akaashi huddled up into his side and Bokuto's hand traced his hand.

"He's been doing a lot better. I still can not thank you enough for saving him."

Akaashi nodded. "I wouldn't know what else to do."

Bokuto slid his hand into Akaashi's sleeve and held onto his arm, rubbing the skin. Akaashi hummed. Bokuto tapped his arm.

"What's wrong?"

Bokuto let go and grabbed the bed remote, easing himself up and staring at his mother. For a moment it was a blank stare and he didn't realize what he was looking at. Akaashi leaned forward and touched his arm. "Kotarou?"

Bokuto's eyes welled with tears. "Mama."

Bokuto's mother sat by him and held his hand. "That's right. I'm right here honey. What's wrong?"

Bokuto pointed to Akaashi. "Keiji?"

"That's Keiji, yes. Are you okay?"

Bokuto pointed to his father. "Dad?"

"Yes Kotarou. What's wrong honey?" Bokuto started to cry and held onto his mother's hand tightly, hiccuping. She hugged him close and kissed the unwounded side of his head. "You're gonna get nauseous. Easy, easy. It's okay."

Bokuto nodded and then cringed. "Hurts!"

"Oh! Babe go get a nurse!"

Akaashi leaned forward and touched Bokuto's arm. "It's okay. It's okay."

Bokuto turned slightly and gasped. He threw his arms around Akaashi and hugged him tight. "Oh!"

"Keiji..."

Akaashi's heart melted. He laid back and held Bokuto to his chest. "I'm here. I'm right here. Do you want to get up? Maybe drink some water?"

Bokuto held on tighter and stayed quiet, sniffling.

"What is it?"

"I-I don't know what day it is..."

"November fifth."

Bokuto nodded. He sniffled and cringed. "My whole body..."

"Yeah?"

"Hurts."