Chapter Sixteen: Mrs. Weasley's Howlers Cower Before Tessa's Verbal Bitch Slaps

Start from the beginning

"Hey, I'm just grabbing some coffee. Do you want to meet here instead?"

Allison frowns at me, like she think I'm stupid for not having more of a reaction.

He says he'll be there in two minutes and as the long line moves I turn my back on Allison but can feel her eyes boring into my back. I'm still ignoring her when the murmurs start around me. Ever since Cole's come back from the training camp he's become somewhat of a local celebrity. Everyone wants to know more about the boy who's going to make it big in the NFL. People assume that going pro is what he wants and that it's just a matter of time before he drops out.

And ditches his small town high school girlfriend, which he's already got a jumpstart on.

I think they're expecting a showdown, those who were aware of our relationship that is. Much as I'd like to think so the world doesn't revolve around us and there are people here who just want that damn cup of coffee.

"Hey," He breathes into my ear, with cutting the line. I'd love to be the one to tell him that we're supposed to have boundaries now but it's his game and he better know how to play it.

I angle my body so that I can see Allison's shell shocked expression.

"Do you want me to grab you something?"

He shakes his head, grabs my wrist and pulls me away from the line.Tipping his head towards the seating area he smiles lovingly at me. "Go take a seat, I'll be right there with our orders."

I begin to protest but it's pointless and we've already attracted enough attention. Cole's sending out mixed messages, to everyone including me. Is this part of the plan? To keep them guessing?

Shaking my head, I grin at Allison and give her a little wave as I walk away. I love Cole for not even noticing that she's there or even acknowledging her. He comes back shortly afterwards with our order and as we begin to sip our coffees, I finally ask him.

"How is this any different from when we were going out?"

He grimaces, "Well for one I wouldn't have control every single instinct that I have to kiss you right now."

I blush," Yeah that...that must suck."

He laughs but there's no humour on his face. "I got a couple of calls today, more reporters who want to turn me into an overnight superstar. One of them...fucking hell, one of them brought up my mom's death because everybody loves a sob story right?"

My heart clenches painfully for him and without thinking I put my drink down and place my hand over his. Just because he doesn't bring her up a lot doesn't mean that his mom never meant anything to him. Yes, she passed away when he was four I know for a fact that he still has some memories of her and even worse he'll always miss the fact that he couldn't have more.

"How did they even find that out?"

"They're reporters, apparently invasion of privacy is in their job description."

"I'm sorry. Just try and stay calm about it all okay? They might just be looking for something to make you upset enough and then they'd have a headline on their hands."

He looks at me intensely for a bit and clenches his jaw. I get the feeling that he's trying to tell me something but he won't. I know him as well as I know myself but even I can't read his mind.

"I know," he exhales, "I won't let them find out anything worth blowing my fuse over."

The somber mood is broken by one of Cole's teammates coming around and slapping him on the shoulder. I duck my head and busy myself with my gigantic mug of coffee as they exchange pleasantries but my attempt at being invisible fails as the wide receiver's eyes pin me down and widen in surprise.