•19• WHAT'S THAT CURVE?

SMILE; More often than you cry,
More often than the sun
shines in my sky.
Smile, because at times it's the only beautiful part of my day,
Your smile.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

"Araam se naashta kar!"

Rania's head bobbed forward due to Bebe's smack and her mouth closed around her fingers taking in the half piece of the boiled egg in one bite.

"Urghm...*cough* *cough*"

Iqra sheepishly offered her a glass of water as she walked around the side to pull out Bebe's chair.

"Javhi khaye gi.. gabr gabr.." Bebe scoffed and Rania pushed her glasses up, breathing out.

"Bebe late ho rhi main!" She whined after swallowing.

"Ho rhi hun! Urdu bolni hai toh dhang se bolo..  zubaan ka beragarkh kar diya hai tum logon ki generation ne. Na Punjabi hi theek se boltey ho, naahi Urdu na Angrezi." Her mother scolded sitting down in front her

"Amma we've fused the languages naa, we've digitalized and romanized it, to better socialize. Fr." She grinned knowing her mother hated abbreviations. Her mother responded with a huff while signalling Iqra to pass Bebe the plate of eggs.

Language was important to Kamila Raees, the self proclaimed literarian of the family, and she wanted her only daughter to speak properly whatever language she chose to converse in.

Bebe lowly grumbled as she saw Iqra placing the eggs on her plate with their yolks scooped out enviously eying the sandwich on her son's plate with the thick yellow layer visible in the middle.

"Bebe cholesterol nu vi te control karna ay na.. homeopathic dawaiyan asr nhi kartin baghair perhaiz de." Kamila answered seeing her mother in law's expression and Bebe did more of her low grumbling and hand waving some of which were curses that made Rania snort.

"Cholesterol sholestrol.." was all they heard properly.

"Amma ji, perhaiz ilaaj se behter hai." Added Mr. Raees with a smile. His eyes fixed on his tablet screen as his fingers scrolled across the Electronic print of Dawn news paper.

"Sadi chor tu apni fikr kar ni putr! Ena nu parhaiz karou!" Bebe said louder glaring at her son, "aye tidd vekhey 'O zara! Phulta hi jaa reya aye! Aye ni vekhaya?!" Her arm came forward to pat his round stomach.

Raees Khuwajah cleared his throat sitting straighter in his chair, subconsciously sucking in some of his stomach and Kamila pursed her lips not meeting eyes with her husband.

A loud laugh sputtered out of Rania while her grandmother grinned having proven her position, the only missing things were those black sunglasses and the Thug Life background music.

It was her father's turn to do a bit of low grumbling while her mother stroked his wounded ego by telling him he was still the most handsome man in her eyes.

"Maa nu sikhayen ge kyaa khana kyaa peena.. Huh!" Bebe scoffed, "Chaye dhaal!"

Rania nodded biting her smile and poured out a steaming cup for Bebe, the subtle hint of cardamon and cinnamon wafting air as brown liquid met the china.

Breakfast was never completed in the Raees family without Surraiya Dadi's Masala Chaye and her masala roasting. It would be as if the day never started.