•6• SILENT SIGHS

"Silence is a language of it's own.

The sighs are the words."

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

Sarah sat in the neat space of the aesthetically designed office of the Virsa Foundation.

It had been almost six months since she started and decided to make a career out of her passion.

This foundation was like a dream come true for her. Granted she was hesitant at first.

She loved history; historic events, places, monuments, personalities, societies and their cultures.

When she used to visit the interior Lahore; the Delhi Gate and Bhatti Gate with her family she used to lose her self in those old streets. The cobblestone pathways and the British styled lamp posts. The 200 year old havelis and small mohalla's with houses joined roof to roof.

The place had it's own vibe. As if it was some other era, another time zone. It was magical for her.

When her school used to take them on a trip to the Lahore Forte, or the Masjid Wazir khan or Hiran minar, the class was excited by the prospect of getting to have a whole day where in they could have fun, a whole day without any books. While she was only charmed by the idea of visiting that ancient place. Those marble floors, those limestone towers and old brick structures, ten year old Sarah couldn't stop squealing.

The students would be completely zoning out their guide busy in their goofing around and Sarah would be the only one listening with keen interest to the stories and the history they had to tell. She would be the only one asking questions and the only one curious enough who wanted to know more.

She loved it. She loved that time, she loved that child inside of her that would lose itself in her grandfather's library, reading books way above her level of comprehension. Thick titles on the History of Southeast Asia. Of the Babylonians and the Ottomans, the Greeks and the Mughals.

History had a calling, and she couldn't begin to describe it in words.

But.. life happened and slowly...

She was losing it.

Every day in this office, reminded her that the world was not as magical as she thought it to be. That there was cut throat competition everywhere she looked and that her fairy tale realm was not strong enough to stand a chance.

There was once a time she could imagine herself living happily in an old refurbished house with a library full of her favourite history books and historical fictions. She could see herself going to work and mapping her progress not by how many people knew about her but by what she actually did and if it made a difference.

It didn't matter to her that the projects she got were small but that she was doing what she loved. She imagined herself to be happy because she was living her dream life.

However it wasn't so...

For she now understood it was all a scam. It was her fooling herself.

It mattered. It mattered a lot how famous she got and how renowned her foundation was. It mattered that she got big and got to sit with high profile personalities. It mattered.

Money couldn't buy happiness, was a passage she had once written. She didn't think she would ever write something like that again. An idea so foolish.

"You both deserve partners that make you genuinely happy.. don't let anything keep you from that."