•12• I AM NEVER GIVING UP

"Sweetheart,
Wipe those tears away. You may have crushed my spirits but my heart's not giving up.

You want to keep me close
And pretend that you don't.

You need me to stay, but you keep saying you won't.

I'm still not leaving.
I'm never giving up."

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

Sarah Ghani entered the quiet living room turning on a few lights, her thin pencils clicked on the wooden tiles as she stepped up the small staircase to get to the raised platform.

Dropping down on to the plush beige lounge suite she began unstrapping her heels and pulled her feet up on the coffee table calling out to her house help.

"Nayyara!"

....

"Sarah? Tum kab ayin?"

Sarah turned her head to see her elder sister walking up from the second door into the lounge, one that opened towards the upper story staircase instead of the front door.

"Assalamualaikum Bajjoo.. Bss abhi ayi hun. Mom aa gayin hain ghar?" Sarah replied with a soft smile rubbing her eyes as she leaned forward resting her upper body against her knees.

"Walikumsalam," Sahar sat down beside her sister ruffling the mess of midnight curls upon her head, "Nhi Mom abhi nhi ayin.. Dinner bahir hi hai unka."

"As usual.." She muttered pulling her lips up and tilted her head to look at the older girl.

Sahar, who didn't miss the bite in her words reprimanded with a soft hum, "Mmhm.. Kuch important clients aye huye hain yaar unkey Pakistan.."

"I'm not complaining... It's too late to complain anyway.."

Sahar opened her mouth then without arguing closed her lips.

"Khana kya bana hai?" Sarah asked instead.

"Khaney main—"

"Please don't say it's Daal again..." Sarah whined.

Sahar gave a light giggle, "Nhi. Daal khatam ho gayi."

"Shukar haii!"

That made her laugh harder, "Batameez!" She smacked her back.

"Jab insan ko roz ek hi jaisa khana miley toh yehi haal ho jata." Sarah answered scrunching up her nose.

"Chicken karahi hai aaj, or saath main naan bhi available hai and pulao bhi, whatever your majesty feels like having." Sahar bowed her head a little extending her arm out.

Sarah replied with a grin.

"Toh lagwaa den.. main marr rhi hun bhook se." She said falling against the back of the sofa. Sahar nodded gently and got up but Nayyara had already entered with a glass of water for Sarah.

"Thank you.." she took her glass quenching her thirst while her sister instructed Nayyara to heat up the dinner for them.

....