Chapter 21

Malik POV

The two dark shadows that tailed behind me the entire way back to my bike were so unbearably obvious it made me simmer in annoyance. If Wyatt truly thought me an incompetent fool then I'd show him exactly what he had coming to him. Call it a calling card for his days to come if you will.

The two shadows kept their close watch on me as I passed the outer perimeter of their little army camp they've hardly set up. They wouldn't attack me in their camp. I was just a messenger to them. A nobody they could kill and wave at the Manhattan pack to try and intimidate them into surrendering. The problem for them was that they had little to no idea what they truly were up against.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was never one for walking all the way back to the Manhattan pack but some circumstances you just can't avoid. Like the small little trap I'd left for Wyatt and his Beta. A grenade with a little trip wire wedged next to the bikes gas take will make a nice bang. I hadn't heard anything as of yet but I'm sure they'll be waiting for the two little shits to return. I bet by now the Betas scratching his head wondering where his two little minions are. Stupid idiot.

"You're back!" Tristan looked stunned when I crossed over the bridge back into the Manhattan pack territory. "What happened? Are they leaving?"

"No." I shook my head and made my way over to the coast guards tower.

"Mal?....Where the fucks the bike?" He asked looking back over toward the bridge.

A low bomb cam from the distance making some of the young males jump.

"There." I gestured toward the sound but kept walking.

"Mal! Wait a second." Tristan rushed after me following me inside. "What the fuck happened out there?!"

Needless to say I gave him the simplified version and glossed over the whole killing the two males and then rigging one of their bodies with a trip wire and bomb! Guess I owe them a bike now but they'll get over it.

"So you ended up talking to Alpha Wyatt!" Tristan hissed at me as I stood out in the freezing cold with binoculars in hand.

"Why does everyone keep acting like it's such a big deal?" I murmured. "Yes I spoke to him! No. He's not the big, bad, scary wolf everyone deluded you to think he was and no! He's not leaving!" I snapped at Tristan to try and get his head back in the game.

The slight flinch from him kept his mouth shut and focus back on to our enemy.

"Do you think he'll attack?" He muttered as I looked out once again toward Wyatt's camp.

"He'll come." I stated the facts even if it unnerved him. "I pissed him off so he'll probably be arranging his troops as we speak. He won't be happy I killed some of his fighters so if he not already set for an attack, he will be very soon."

Tristan still held the remote in his hands as we stood there looking out into the darkness. The only light on the horizon was from Wyatt's camp far off in the distance. Once word reaches Wyatt about what had happened to his two foot soldiers and my escape he'll plan a full scale attack thinking he can win. Wyatt will charge toward Manhattan territory thinking my threat was nothing but a bluff. His generals will convince him it was and want to lash out in retaliation. However in the back of Wyatt's mind he'll feel uneasy. I took out his soldiers with ease and even rigged my bike to blow all under their noses. That won't sit well with the top dog. I'd managed to put him right where I wanted him. Caught between his generals demanding revenge and his own thoughts telling him that there was more to my threat then meets the eye. I'd forced his hand and I was ready to take him down.

A low rumble was our first clue that something was coming. It seemed that word had reached Wyatt when a wave of shifter wolf thundered across the open plains.

"Here they come!" Tristan shouted to his pack gripping the detonator tighter in his hand.

"Not yet." I barked my order at him. "Wait until they're almost at the centre of the bridges."

The rumble for thousands of wolves became louder. Soon we could see the army of wolves charging out of the darkness and straight toward the bridges.

"Easy. Just a little longer." I kept my tone even as I noticed the slight tremors from Tristan's hand. "They're almost there."

"Now?" He panicked.

"No! Wait for them to get on to the bridge." I snapped at him.

"Just tell me when." He panted gripping the detonator harder.

I kept a sharp eye on the charging wolves. They were about to step onto bridges when a blood curdling roar shot straight through the night. None of the wolves halted their charge as they stepped onto the bridges.

"NOW!" I ordered and Tristan hit the switch.

Everyone of us felt the earth move followed by a piercing noise as we watched the massive concrete bridges crumble and burst into shards of rubble. Wolves screaming as the bridges beneath them disappeared below their paws. Some were struck with flying debris while the rest plunged down into the icy current beneath them.

"Have all the coast guards on watch. None of those wolves are to set foot on this island and live." I gave the order to Tristan and headed back inside.

We weren't done yet. That roar came from Wyatt. I just knew it did. He was furious about something and tried to call back his troops with that roar. Maybe one of his spies had found out our plan to send his army into the black waters to freeze to death? It had to be that. He wouldn't have any other reason to stop them. Luckily for us he was to late.

"Mal!" I heard Tristan call my name as I picked up my phone and guns from where I had left them.

I glanced back at him slipping my holster over my shoulders.

"That was him....wasn't it." He mumbled not to sure of himself.

I put my jacket back on feeling a small sting from my shoulder as the holster dug in to me. I gave a small nod and slipped my phone back into my jacket.

"Something tells me one of his little spies found out about our trick. It seemed word didn't reach Wyatt in time for the charge to be stopped. He'll be furious and I have a feeling he'll be on his way to look over the damage." I explained my theory as I got ready to head back out into the night and down to the nearby bridge.

"I'll come with you." Tristan insisted picking up a rifle from a nearby gun rack.

"No." I warned narrowing my eyes at him. "This one I do on my own."

"But what if he has a sniper there? What if he tries to kill you Mal?"

I arch my brow at him. I see this 'Mal' nickname is going to be stuck with me from now on.

"He won't." I smirked.

"What gave you that idea?"

"It's the same reason I won't shoot him."

"Once again I don't follow."

"We're wolves are we not? We like the hunt. The chase. The catch and the kill. You think for a second we would ever give that up?" I shook my head at him.

"I see now." He grinned. "Each of you will try to hunt down the other but also wont allow the other to be killed unless it's by your own doing." He chuckles at me and shakes his head. "What make you think he wont cheat?"

"What fun is there in taking the easy way out?"

I shrugged and made my way to the door.

"You're gambling with your life on this one. What if you lose?"

"I won't."