Chapter 5

Maliks POV

Driving through the streets in the north of the Manhattan pack was a shock to the system. Coming from the rich and glamorous pack house to the run down streets of the north quadrant was a world away from where we started. At the center of the pack was this tall and elegant building that glistened against the sun where as the north quadrant looked to be the most poverty stricken area. It baffled me how Alpha Peter sits back in his skyscraper pack house while the rest of the pack have to live in such horrible conditions. It clearly reflects their Alpha. All he's after is a fake exterior and someone else to clean up his mistakes.

"We're not in Kansas anymore." One of the trackers -Keven who's currently driving- comments.

"No, we are not." I murmur back as I look out at the boarded up houses.

Two trackers in the front seat who I've now learnt their names are Keven and West. They'll be in the two waiting vehicles as Alan and I make our way to the Hotel. The two of us are seated in the back and I'm glad I had the mindset to change. Alan however...

"We're here Malik." Alan nudges me as we drive into a small parking lot next to a pitch black park.

The trackers make a move to get out but I quickly stop them.

"Wait a moment." Everyone turns to look at me. "It's better to go over the basics of the plan in the car, that way we won't have any wolves listening into our conversations."

"Why don't we wait for the other car first?" Alan asks.

"We'll only go over specifics. West and Keven? Do the two of you have any questions about what you specifically need to do tonight?"

They both shake their heads.

"We got it when you briefed us at the pack house. We're there if they run or if you need a quick evacuation." West answers.

"Do any of you have guns?" I also direct that question to Alan.

There's no way in hell I'll be walking in to that hotel room if Alans unarmed. My eyes fall on him in his fancy shoes and slacks. The only thing helping him blend in is the navy blue jacket and I need to make sure that it doesn't get the two of us or worse all of us killed. Delicate situations like this mean no screw ups.

"We've got guns in the trunk." Keven informs me but that still doesn't ease my concerns.

"Have you ever shot a wolf before? Any of you?" I watch them closely for any subtle hit of a lie.

They glance at one another and this dull pain inside my gut twists slightly. If their shitty Alpha is anything to go on then I'm looking at the best of the best wolves the Manhattan Pack have to offer and none have shot another wolf before. Fucking hell! Why did I even accept this fucking job?

"We've all had proper training so we know how to shoot a gun Malik. There's nothing to worry about. Alpha Peter even had us learn specific defensive tactics to apply when dealing with wolves." Alan tried to install a little bit of confidence in me but I just glanced at him and rolled my eyes.

Alpha Peter was a joke.

"So, in other words you've shot at a stationary object and that's it." I sigh heavily as the second car pulls up next to us. "Look. There's a monumental difference from training with metal cut outs of wolves to having an actual living, breathing, pissed off one right in front of you. You can't hesitate and believe me you will. It's your mindset that will affect you the most. Yes, it will be a living breathing wolf you'll be killing but it will also be the closest you'll come to a life or death situation."

The two trackers from the other car get out and knock on my window.

"You need to remember that if you don't shoot, they will. Trust me, I know." I tell them all and climb out of the car.