Chapter 9

(Before all hell broke loose.)

Maliks POV

Blake was the first to smack me over my helmet when I got back in line. The rest of the trackers gave me a subtle glare before we refocused in on our efforts to save the pup. Norland was given the signal to move the truck to the front of the building for our distraction. Alan and Keven decided that they would execute the breach then have Blake and I enter straight after. They would then focus on getting the pup as Blake and I took the rest of the team to catch the wolves inside. My fangs throbbed at the thought of ripping them apart. This dull ache in my gut turned into a shot of nitrous for my instincts. I was ready to storm the place on my own if need be.

"Ready." Alan whispered as he glanced over his shoulder at me.

I nodded.

Time to go hunting.

The truck tires screeched and the two teams moved in. Alan and Keven had the back door open in under two seconds with Blake and I busting into the back of the building. I let my instincts off it's leash and felt the blood lust of hunger grip my throat. My sight sharpened to block the first two wolves coming at Blake and I from the right. Blake blocked both attacks with the riot shield letting me slip out behind him to attack. My claws shifted effortlessly as I sunk them into the first wolfs shoulder. I watched as his face contorted in agony. That was the thing about using your claws. They were deadlier than any knife, were excruciatingly painful and cut through muscle severing crucial tendons. I locked around the wolfs shoulder socket till I gave it a hard tug and felt the bone pop from is joint.

I had to keep my mind a little clear. I had to keep as many as I could alive but my instincts screamed at me to kill them all. The wolf went down as I retracted my claws and gave the male a sharp kick that sent him flying across the room into the concrete wall behind him. The second tried a sneak attack behind me but was quickly met with the leading edge of Blakes riot shield. Blake hit the wolf square in the jaw instantly knocking the male out.

I turned to see both Keven and Alan making their way down a hall toward the basement in a rush. Something inside my gut told me to follow till I felt a steel bar come smashing down on the back of my skull. I bit back a roar as I turned to glare at the wolf who just dared to hit me. He must have had a death wish. I let out the deepest, most menacing growl till I was met with the sight of a male pup shaking in his boots. As the realisation of what the male pup had just done sank in, the colour drained from his face. He was terrified. The pup obviously hit me with every thing he had and the fact that I didn't even flinch showed the massive power gap between us.

My eyes narrowed in on the pup as he backed off and trembled in fear. Something was different about the pup though. He smelt...unusually calming and that put me on edge. I could tell it wasn't his own scent that clung faintly to his clothing but it reminded me of the closet back at the hotel. What was this strange smell?

"If you don't want to die, I suggest you cuff yourself and take a seat." I ordered in a tone that shocked both the pup and Blake.

Once reason was knocked back into the male pup, he scampered off quickly and sat still in a corner. Blake and I on the other hand got back to work. When Blake blocked attacks, I slashed straight back then stepped to the side for Blake to block again. Twelve wolves in total were taken down by the team till I felt a shooting pain lodge itself in my top left shoulder. I knew instantly what it was.

The wrenching pain from wolf claws was a distinct and crippling sensation that you couldn't compare. My body however flooded with burning rage shoving any and all pain to the side as I turned around to see what wolf was cocky enough to try me. The male was a giant. I was a good six foot but this wolf had to be at the very least seven. His shit eating grin faded as I jammed my claws into the males' ribs unfazed by his attack. My claws dug in between the bone and sliced through hardened muscle down to the wolfs organs. My fangs extended as I glared up at him and reached for his throat.