Chapter 18

Malik POV

"You said there were only three!" I shouted back to Tristan as I tossed the rope to a coast guard standing on the first dock we made it too.

Stupid me believed Tristan and took him at his word instead of conducting my own research. A stunt I was never prone to, but desperate times called for desperate measures. Not to mention my distasted for not being completely organized.

I hate not being prepared.

"Border patrols taking care of the other ones. We've got these last three bridges." Tristan tried to brush it off as we tossed the dynamite off the boat and on to the dock. "Are you sure this will work?" He grumbled staring up at one of the bridges. "I mean..." he huffed. "...it's not like wolves can't just swim across."

"They won't. The waters ice cold that to the time of year. Besides Wyatt's no average wolf. He's the Alpha of one of the most prestigious packs on the east coast with his finger in everyone's business. He'll be showing up with an army only a fraction of the size he intended. He's planning a surprise attack but will on the back foot when he realizes he no longer has an advantage."

At least that was the plan anyway. I was betting on the imposable at this point but knew with a little smoke and mirrors that this might work out. After all I had investments to protect. My phone buzzed in my jacket as I took it out to check it quickly. It was from Norland.

----------------------------------------------------

All safe. Need to talk when you return.

Alpha N.

------------------------------------------------------

Need to talk? Like that was going to happen. I had no interest in dealing with Norland's constant fascination with Celestia and I. Even if he was in fact on to something. It didn't matter. He'd get nothing from me because I had nothing to say. Her father had decided her future even if it was wrong and who was I to stand in the way of that? But then again, I was out here in the dead of the night trying to keep a crumbling pack together. Come to show just how much someone is capable of when it comes to keeping a smile on a pretty little face.

"Malik!" Tristan snapped me out of my head as we docked at the next drop off point. "What's with you all of a sudden?" He tosses the rope in my hand to one of the coast guards.

"Nothing. Just trying to plan out every possibility in my head before Wyatt arrives." I shrugged it off.

We went back to dropping of the wooden crates when Tristan piped up again.

"I'm not saying this plan of yours will work but -and it's a big but- if this plan of blowing up the bridges works what do you think Wyatt will do?" He muttered to try and keep the other pack members from overhearing too much.

"If he's smart, he'll leave and regroup with a more powerful army. At least that's what I'd do."

"You think he'll leave then?" Tristan smirked.

"No." I shook my head.

"But you just said-"

I cut him off. "I said that's what I would do not what he would do. However, if the guy had an actual clue like I've heard he does. He should in theory take his army and leave. An army is only as strong as its weakest supply line and Wyatt knows that."

"So then why don't we just blow the bridges now? Why do we wait for the army to arrive if they have such a massive advantage."

I dropped the last crate down onto the dock and turned to face him.