Chapter 13

Brianna

Aiden

~~~

The chill lessened as the red elevator released Brianna into the shadowy hallway, and finally disappeared once she spotted Aiden at his post.

Brianna shuffled behind the man Aiden talked with, forcing her humming body to stay patient, and unintentionally began to overhear the tail end of their conversation.

"Would you like anything else, Sir?"

"That'll be all... unless you'd like to give me more?" The Man leaned on his elbows and peered into Aiden's face.

" I-I can't..." Aiden looked away and his voice lowered to a mumble, " I'm working."

" Ahh... Well, I do love a hard worker."

I'm a hard worker, Brianna suddenly thought. Maybe I was kind of mean today, but does that make me any worse of a worker?

The Man leaned into Aiden further. " Especially the ones who know exactly how to please the boss. Know of the kind?"

"That... sounds familiar," Aiden bit his lip.

Can you not do a good job without pleasing the boss? Brianna's face twisted into a frown.

The Man smiled. "Then keep it up, handsome." He walked away, giving Brianna a glimpse of his two red bracelets before he crossed through the club's double doors.

Keep up what? Pleasing the boss? As she thought, Brianna began to fidget with the key in her hand. Was I feeling bad because I didn't? This- was that the feeling of guilt? Guilty about work? About coming here right after work?

"Brianna!" Adien beamed. She jumped and turned to his smiling face.

"Hi, Aiden." She said, walking up and giving him the key. As she did so, Aiden saw her slightly shake her head in an attempt to regain her composure.