Chapter 8

Brianna

The moment Brianna entered her apartment, she pivoted and leaned her head against the door

What a night...

The faint glow emanating from her wrist grabbed her attention. The bracelet's color was dimming and there were some noticeable cracks in the plastic from the many times it was bent, twisted, and held down.

Night and morning.

She peeled herself off, then let out a sigh.

But It's time to return to reality, Bri.

She popped the bracelet off as she walked into her kitchen, opened the lid on her trash, and held it over the can. But then she paused- stuck standing there like a fool, not able to will her fingers to let go.

Well... if you accomplished your goal, and this really was a one night thing, then there should be no problem keeping a trophy, right?

She turned towards her fridge and placed the bracelet on the side of her freezer.

After taking a shower she sat down on her bed to lotion up and looked down at her dress.

Will I ever wear that again?

The thought made her chest a bit heavy, but pushed it aside once she saw the time. After changing into her work clothes, Brianna went to her dresser and stared at her frizzy hair in the mirror.

They really asked to kiss me while I'm out here looking like Katt Williams, she internally groaned before trying to tame it.

Half a bottle of eco styler and several crooked bobby pins later, Brianna was rushing out of her apartment still to arrive at the little coffee shop five minutes late.

She had gotten this job as soon as it was legally possible and continued throughout her years of high school, always with the goal to save enough to be comfortable in college. But it only took one intense argument with her parents for that to fall apart; instead, that money and everything she made afterwards, went towards an apartment within walking distance.

" I'm sorry," Brianna repeated multiple times leading up to her rushing into her boss' office, " I'm so sorry."

" You're ten minutes late," He said in a monotone voice.

"But I'm-"

She looked at the clock in his office to confirm she was only five minutes behind but when she looked back at his uninterested face, she immediately lost her nerve.

"Yes. I am, and I'm so sorry. I won't make any excuses." She looked to the floor and played with her fingers. "I- I can make it up on my shift on Wednesday?"

The old man looked at his worker with a displeased frown on his face.

It was his wife who hired Brianna and Destiny out of some compassion towards their situations at home. He, on the other hand, never asked, nor was he interested- especially after his wife died last summer. After that, the somewhat niceties he had towards his workers thinned into tolerance out of his wife's memory.