Chapter 9

Brianna

Reese

~~~

Brianna sneezed and when she looked back up, it was closing time.

She quickly cleaned up her station, grabbed her things, and punched out- all with only a certain two people on her mind.

Right as she stepped out of the shop, she heard a voice from the shadowy unlit side of the building call out to her.

"Bri~"

Everything in her melanin told her to sprint, and just as she turned to do so, she heard the voice speak again.

"Hey- hey wait, Bri, it's me," Reese stepped into the light with his hands up, "Hey."

"Reese," She huffed and whined, "You can not keep doing that to me!"

Her cries fell on deaf ears as the simple act of her whining put a smile on Reese's face.

Adorable.

"Well, uh, maybe you need to be more aware of your surroundings," Reese said, "After all, you never know what might pop up."

He held his hand out then opened it, letting the silver chain of a necklace dangle between his fingers. It was chipped in different places and the cross that used to hang at the end of it was long gone.

"Is that- Oh my gosh I've been looking all over for this. "A smile beamed on Brianna's face and she stepped forward to grab it. "Thank you so much."

Reese could have sworn he felt sparks as her soft hand grazed against his but just as she was about to grab the necklace, he suddenly clutched it and pulled back to himself.

"Want me to put it on you?"

"Oh, um actually I-"

Though she never actually wore it around her neck, Brianna hesitated at his declining his suggestion.