Chapter Thirty-Six

Bast watched as Dabrowski removed the headdress from Jules' head and Penelope took it from her. She grabbed two candles from her and began praying into the wicks as Penelope made her way to her place around the stone. They caught fire and both Xenia and Jules shined as they each took one. Bast watched in awe, still stunned by the fact Xenia wasn't exaggerating. The ceremony really was quite magical. As if some outside force really was here in their home, bringing their ancestors and all others already waiting in the Wielki Las to watch the new First Vixen being tethered to her mate and pack.

Dabrowski led them to the round, flat stone in the center of the grounds where Xenia's inner circle stood and witnessed, sharing in the power of her ascension that would take place soon after they were bound. It wouldn't match what Jules felt, nor would any of them become as strong as Xenia, but Bast had been told it would change them all, making them the elite their pack would look to for guidance in even the most menial of tasks.

Bast glanced over at Penelope who stood across from her and caught a brief smile just before the ceremony truly began.

"Xenia Zielinski, you are to be bound to your mate prior to your ascension. There have been no contestants. You have achieved the blessing of your pack and now it is time you achieve your blessing from Pierwsza Matka'. Do you wish to receive this blessing? To be tethered to Julia Dabrowski's soul from this day until your last breath and beyond?"

"Yes, Dabrowski. I swear before you, our pack and Pierwsza Matka' I will protect, provide for and love Julia Dabrowski until my last breath." Xenia took a knee and Dabrowski repeated the same to Jules, then she also knelt.

"You have both sworn before us all and Pervaya to uphold your pledge. The loyalty you both vow today will stretch throughout eternity to the Wielki Las where we and all of our great ancestors will meet again."

Dabrowski took a sash from around her shoulders and both Jules and Xenia held their hands up, intertwining their fingers. The hairs on the back of Bast's neck stood on edge as she looked across the center stone and spotted Penelope staring back at her. Then, her eyes glowed. Bast worked to steady her breath as her own eyes warmed, and then heard a faint voice in the back of her mind coming to the foreground.

Is this... Bast began.

The second bond. She heard Penelope finish with a wide grin, before she nibbled her bottom lip.

They held each other's eyes until their glow had left them and Bast couldn't hide the smile that flitted across her face.

You can hear me, can't you? She telepathically asked. Penelope bit the inside of her cheek, visibly struggling to remain still, and nodded with a deep blush. This was shaping up to be quite the night.