Chapter Three

Xenia woke in Jules' bed feeling cramped and deserted as she reached out, but found no one beside her. With a grunt she propped herself up on her elbow and the smell of trout and fresh berries wafted in from downstairs. Smiling all the way, she slipped on a shirt over her sports bra and ran through the open door.

She jumped both flights of stairs down to the living room and ran, then slid to a stop at the entrance to the kitchen. Catching up to her surroundings, Xenia spotted the twins, Serafin and Gabryjel who were Jules' younger brothers of sixteen, standing on either side of her arguing about who would get first bite.

You two think you'll go before me?

The boys spun around and narrowed their gazes on Xenia as she projected her thoughts at them. An ache formed in her chest. She'd never been able to do the same with Jules and it haunted her every hour of every day, creating worry and strife it left in its wake. However, she didn't have time to react to it as the boys leapt at her. With great ease, Xenia caught Gabe and tossed him behind herself and onto the sofa in the living room. Serafin, usually called Sera by most and very particular about his name, went for her legs, but she hopped and caught him underfoot, pinning him to the ground.

"Okay, boys. Looks like we have a victor." Jules turned toward them, catching all their attention. Xenia gulped at her first full view of her and felt herself giddy to be fed by Jules hand. She walked to Xenia and tapped the end of her nose twice. "Besides, this one here deserves a reward after keeping me company in my tiny bed. The ground was just a bit too cold and hard for me, handsome, and I highly appreciate letting me have the comfort of my bed, but I also heard you saved a fishy last night."

Xenia grimaced at the memory. She had hoped Jules wouldn't hear of her flub, at least not so quickly, but apparently news got around as fast this morning as it always did in their small-knit community. How embarrassing...

Jules looped her finger in Xenia's tank and pulled her over to the stove, serving up her food. Xenia leaned down and kissed her forehead, lingering there for a moment longer to test her temperature. It was the easiest way to check without Jules noticing, because when she did...

"Ow!" Xenia exclaimed as she felt a pinch at her belly. She released a rumbling, soft growl and Jules lifted one perfectly sculpted eyebrow.

"I'm not some dumb kit and know exactly what you're doing. I'm perfectly fine this morning, so no more trying to talk me out of showing the Aquatic girl around our lands today." When Xenia clicked her tongue and looked away, Jules pulled her face back around. She stared deeply into her eyes, and then smiled ear-to-ear making Xenia gulp. "Thanks for worrying about me, darling."

Unable to fight it, Xenia melted, forgetting how her muscles worked, and let herself be pushed back and into a chair at the dining table. The twins wasted no time fighting for the next plate and Xenia easily laughed at their squawks which were accompanied by Jules gentle giggles. Xenia could become addicted to this. She had become addicted to this.

It wasn't a bad thing, though. When her training for First Vixen sent her to the White Fox Tribe of Alaska, there had been a minor attack on the shifters there. Xenia knew it was her fault. They were only there because of her after all and she was no closer to getting answers on why the rebels targeted the foxes first aside from financial profit. It was some US Acciai who had apparently gone rogue for more money after learning the White Fox were such a rare breed. At least, that was what the Italian Acciai's official statement was, but to Xenia it was just a bunch of bureaucratic mumbo jumbo to cover the ultimate veracity. Jules barely made it out alive and the Acciai never truly took responsibility.

If there was one thing that made Xenia furious beyond anything else, it was when people did horrible things then didn't take any responsibility for them. It didn't matter if they said it was rogue Acciai or not. Their pack leader, their alpha, should have taken full and open responsibility.