Chapter Twenty-Four

Xenia growled as she lunged at the wolf in front of her and pinned it to the ground. Its snow glistening gray and white fur spoke volumes to her, but its scent was even more astounding and utterly blindsided her. An Acciai wolf. There was no doubt in her mind on that, but it made absolutely no sense. How could it, when the wolf was Yumi?

She was of the Okami. An ally! Just what the hell is going on? How could something like this even be possible? An Okami scenting of an Acciai? Carrying its typical colors? She'd never seen Yumi's wolf as it was always the twins who went out with her...but still... Something like this just wasn't possible and if she'd known a thing about it, she would have never let Yumi onto their land over and over again.

The Acciai were allied to no one.

Why hadn't the twins said any...? Xenia shook with rage, but not toward the wolf beneath her. At herself. How could she have been so blind? She dipped her muzzle into Yumi's fur and there, hidden underneath layer upon layer of Okami and Acciai was something new. Something that reminded her of... Bast...?

She pulled her head back as Yumi snarled, attempting to chomp her teeth at her throat, and Xenia planted one of her paws along her chest to keep her in place. She could get answers later. For now...

Third time's the charm, right? This damn wolf was really beginning to rake on her nerves and she knew exactly who it was that hid behind that fierce muzzle. Stop, Yumi! This isn't you! Enough of this foolishness and--

My name is not Yumi, runt! And when my daughter gets here, you will find that you are not who you think either! The voice that answered her wasn't Yumi's, but she knew it could be no one else. Every shifter had their own unique scent that lay just underneath the pack's mark. It had to be her. It was the smell she always found in her presence...but that voice. Perhaps this could explain why Xenia hadn't ever bonded with her, yet somehow the twins had, but just how?

Xenia snarled at her again, yet the wolf still wouldn't submit. What the hell was going on and why was Yumi acting like this? She wasn't a part of the Acciai. She couldn't be. She just couldn't.

You didn't possibly think you would go unchallenged tomorrow, did you? Yumi telepathically said as she slashed at Xenia's chest, causing her to recoil.

She'd been caught off guard, but this wolf was still weaker than herself. Smaller and a submissive. She wouldn't stand a chance in any normal setting, so how hadn't she submitted yet? Someone had to have done something to--

Kuba... He did something to your blood, your shift, didn't he? Xenia crouched down, ready to attack again.

It would be so easy to just snap her neck and be done with it, but she wasn't sure she could bring herself to do so. Yumi was... She was...

Oh, enough already! I'm not the precious Yumi you think I am! It was a goddamn persona, Vixen! Nothing more! At least Serafin was smart enough to notice and chose the right side!

Xenia fiercely growled at her and hunched down, grinding her paws into the dirt. What did you just say?

What? You didn't know one of your precious reynards was a traitor? And it was so easy to sway him. I just had to play with him a bit, and then he did whatever I said. Anything for power right?

Xenia had heard enough. She was about to pounce at Yumi when she froze at hearing a resounding yelp in the direction Lev ran. Xenia flitted her eyes over the woods and remembered Jules was no longer there. She'd sent her back to town for aid. She lifted her snout into the air and found her scent drifting toward the sounds.

No!

Yumi forgotten, Xenia ran as fast as her paws would carry her.