Vol. 4 Chapter 5: For myself

The group trudge along the paths of Anima. (Y/n) and Jaune carry an unconscious Qrow on a makeshift stretcher.

Qrow: "Tai. She's not... coming... (grunting in pain) Tai."

Qrow coughs repeatedly.

Jaune: "He's getting worse."

Ruby: "How much farther?"

Nora: "We've gotta be close."

Ren: "Without the map, there's no way of knowing. But I feel like we're close to something."

Ren holsters StormFlower.

Ruby: "What is it?"

Directly ahead is a fork in the road with a signpost. They are coming from the direction of Higanbana. Kuchinashi and Mistral are to the right, where the land is mountainous. To the left is Kuroyuri, its name crossed out. The path that way remains low ground.

Nora: "Hey, hey! Mistral! We're on the right path! Oh..."

Ruby: "Does it say how close?!"

Ren: "No. And it looks like the path takes us up the mountains."

The two boys set down the delirious Qrow.

Jaune: "Guys, I don't know if all of us can make that climb."

Ruby looks at Qrow, concerned, before rushing forward to the signpost.

Ruby: "Okay. Well, what about this place? Kuro... Kuroyuri? Can we get help there?"

Jaune and (Y/n) approach.

Ren: "That village was destroyed years ago."

Jaune: "But if it takes us around the mountains, it's the best bet we've got."

Ren: (sternly) "It will take too long."

Ruby: "The town would have had a doctor, right? Maybe we could scavenge for medicine!"

Jaune: "Right!"

Ren closes his eyes and lowers his head shaking it.

Ren: "We're not going to find anything! We just have to press on!"

(Y/n)'s eye widens as he looks to Ren.

(Y/n): "Ren... is that..."

Ren just scowls at the floor

Jaune: "Ren, why are you acting—"

Nora: "We can split up."

Nora: (putting her hand on Ren's shoulder) "Ren and I can cut through the mountains while you and Ruby take Qrow around through the village."

Jaune: "No, we're supposed to stick together! We keep each other safe!"

Nora: "We don't have time for safe! If we make it to Mistral, we'll bring back help! If we don't, at least we'll have a better view of the land! Up there, we can see if there's somewhere else we can go!"

Ren turns and looks at Nora. They exchange small, affectionate smiles. Still holding his gaze, Nora drops her hand from his shoulder. All five remain silent, feeling the weight of the choice before them. Qrow coughs, making them all turn in concern and giving the motive to continue.

Jaune looks at Rubyand (Y/n) before turning to Nora and Ren.

Jaune: "Ok."

Jaune steps forward and he and Ren hug each other. (Y/n) hugs favorite crazy ginger friend.

(Y/n): "Be safe."

Jaune: "Just take care of each other."

Nora: (smiling at Ren) "We always have."