21. When the Levee Breaks

Start from the beginning

"He knows."

The phone rang and Bobby answered again. "I'm busy, you son of a bitch. This better be important."

BOBBY'S PANIC ROOM

Sam realized he was neither gagged nor bound and was surprised.

"The answer's yes," a boy said. "You're hallucinating."

Sam looked at the boy who continued. "That's right, it's me. Or I mean it's you."

"I'm losing my mind," Sam stated.

"Definitely," young Sam agreed.

"What do you want?"

"An explanation. How could you do this to me? I thought we were gonna be normal."

"I tried. I did. It didn't pan out that way. Sorry, kid."

""Sorry, kid"?" That's what you have to say? It's all we ever wanted. We were so close. You got away from Dad. You quit hunting. You were gonna become a lawyer and get married. Why'd you blow it?"

"Look. They killed Jessica."

"Yeah. And if you hadn't run off with Dean, if you'd been there to protect her, she'd still be alive."

"I know."

"You think Jess would want you to turn into this? She loved you. You think she'd be happy you using her as an excuse?"

"I'm sorry. I am. But life doesn't turn out the way you thought when you were 14 years old. We were never gonna be normal. We were never gonna get away. Grow up."

"Maybe you're right. Maybe there's no escape. After all, how can you run from what's inside you?"

Young Sam's eyes turned yellow.

BOBBY'S LIVING ROOM

"The news," Bobby stated. "The news ain't good."

Dean frowned. "This is what Rufus called about? 'Key West sees ten species go extinct'."

"Yep. Plus Alaska. 15-man fishing crew all stricken blind, cause unknown. New York, teacher goes postal, locks the door, kills exactly 66 kids. All this in a single day. I looked the them up. There's no doubt about it. They're all seals. Breaking. Fast."

"How many are left?" Elena questioned.

Bobby met her eyes. "Who knows? Can't be many. Where the hell is your angel pal?"

"You tell us," Dean said.

"I'm just wondering."

"What?"

"The apocalypse being nigh and all... is now really the right time to be having this little domestic drama of ours?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I don't like this any more that you two do, but Sam can kill demons. He's got a shot at stopping Armageddon."

"So what? Sacrifice Sam's life, his should, for the greater good? Is that what you're saying? Times are bad, so let's use Sam as a nuclear warhead."

"Look, I know you and Saoirse hate me for suggesting it. I hate me for suggesting it. I love that boy like my son. All I'm saying is maybe he's here right now instead of on the battlefield because we love him too much."

BOBBY'S PANIC ROOM

Sam sat crosslegged on the floor of the room and looked around. The room blurred in and out of focus. Sam spotted the pitcher of water and tree to get it; he had to brace himself on the cot to get off the floor.