Nargacuga

Felids are one of the most widespread families in the past few million years. From the speedy cheetahs to the powerful smilodons, these predators have been able to conquer most of the world, but this poses the question of what makes them so successful.

Most Felids are perfectly designed to sneak up on prey before launching a single explosive attack to kill their targets quickly. Because of this simple, but very effective strategy, many of the members belonging to this family have been able to become some of the most efficient predators in their ecosystem.

However these animals aren't the only assassins in nature. All over the world, there are many different species that use techniques that are somewhat similar. Creatures who use these types of tactics are known as ambush predators. Snakes, assassin bugs, spiders, anhinga, great white sharks and anglerfish are a few examples.

Although ambush strategies are undoubtedly very effective ways of taking down prey, they are far from being foolproof. In fact, if the predators are spotted, they usually have no way of salvaging their hunt. However in New Guinea, Phantalepida pantheravis has a way of saving what could otherwise be a doomed hunt.

 However in New Guinea, Phantalepida pantheravis has a way of saving what could otherwise be a doomed hunt

Standing a meter tall and 1.5 meter long, these shadowy beasts which are usually called by their native name, Nargacuga, are one of the most successful predator on the island. Although they may look like Felines, these animals are actually Pseudo Wyverns, making them more closely related to creatures like Tigrexes and Barioths; however, unlike their relatives, these panther-like Saurischians aren't particularly powerfully built, preferring speed and agility over raw strength.

Since most of New Guinea's unique biodiversity is found in the island's dense jungles, Nargacugas have had to evolve multiple different tools to hunt in this environment. Their black pseudo fur allows them to stay camouflaged in the shadows, allowing them to sneak up on prey more easily, although this feature is most effective at night, as it makes the animals almost invisible. These false hairs can also act as insulation for these animals during storms.

Most of their pseudo hairs are fairly soft and harmless; however the same can't be said for those on their tail. Unlike the rest of their body, these filaments are shaped like feathers and are very sharp. Normally these bladed pseudo feathers lay flat against the body part; however, when Nargacugas flex the muscles in their tail, they can cause these biological daggers to pop out, turning their appendage into a spiked club. Due to their tail being half their total body length, the Pseudo Wyverns can easily and quickly whip this deadly weapon around, leaving hundreds of gashes in whatever's unluckily enough to be hit by the flailing weapon.

Although this is already a dangerous tool, these appendages have a second, more deadly trick. These spikes are very sensitive to pressure, so once the pseudo feathers are put under enough force, the membrane holding the individual blades will break, causing them to come loose, and even throwable, giving Nargacugas projectile options when hunting.