Urban Wildlife

Ever since humans began building their own habitats, many species have been forced out of their native homes. For those who stay, they find themselves in environments that are riddled with danger. Vehicles, fences, litter, bright lights, domestic animals, and humans are just some of the many obstacles these creatures need to deal with. Because of this, we tend to think that cities are only populated by ourselves and our pets; however, this couldn't be further from the truth.

All over the world, many species have adapted to take advantage of these new environments with some doing even better in this new world than they did in the wilderness. These city slickers have not only managed to accommodate to civilization but thrive in what's arguably one of the most hostile habitat on the planet.

Some of the most notable examples of animals adapting to concrete jungles are pigeons, Corvids, raccoons, squirrels, rats, and cockroaches; however, civilizations can also harbor some other and more unique species. Creatures such as peregrine falcons, macaques, northern water snakes, and even wild boards call these places home.

Suidaes in particular have been able to thrive in these man-made habitats, to the point where they've actually become pests in some places. Although all species tend to do well around rural areas, Sus barbari has taken this conquest of civilization to another level.

Also know as Bullfangos, woolley boars, and long tusked boars, these fearsome hogs from northern Eurasia may at first seem like any other pigs, but there's much more to them than meets the eye

Also know as Bullfangos, woolley boars, and long tusked boars, these fearsome hogs from northern Eurasia may at first seem like any other pigs, but there's much more to them than meets the eye. Typically standing at a meter in height and 1.4 in length, these animals are in fact relics from the ice age.

The most obvious sign of this frosty origin is their fur. Bullfangos have noticeably thicker hair than their relatives, an adaptation that serves them well during cold winters. In addition to this, their coats also provide them with some protection against predators such as the Siberian tiger; however, the osteoderms that line the species' back are more effective in that regard.

Another feature that evolved due to the last glacial maximum is the animals' 25 centimeter long tusks. Although great for many different purposes, including self-defense, goring weak animals which become prey to them, fighting between males, and digging through soil for food, these elongated incisors alao act as snowplows, allowing them to easily move through deep snow by tossing it aside, something even wild boars struggle with. With such useful tools at their disposal, it makes sense that Bullfangos would be so successful. Yet there are other factors which make these hogs as common as they are.

Just like other suidaes, Bullfango diet consists of just about anything they can get their jaws around. For these boars, anything is on the menu: plants, fruits, small animals, carcasses, nuts, and even human foods; however, by far their favorite is mushrooms which they can easily sniff out thanks to their amazing sense of smell. Unfortunately for those who find the beloved fungi, they rarely get the chance to eat them in peace because of the pack.