The Finale ⭑ New York, New York.

Start from the beginning

"I love you too," I whispered and pulled back to hang up the call.

There was nothing else left to do.

The longer we stalled, the harder it would be, I knew that.

It felt like the strings attaching Harlow and I were slowly stretching like rubber bands, and eventually, when I got far enough away, they'd just snap. I was so scared of them snapping.

So, I kept them for a while, using every extra second I could to linger around Harlow's sleeping presence.

He looked so peaceful in his bed, so oblivious to the packing I was doing just ten feet away. And I liked that he was holding on to happiness. I hoped he was having a good dream.

I packed up all of my things in a big suitcase neatly and quietly, as well as got dressed.

I walked through the house to Zayn's room first but saw that he was passed out, probably blackout drunk. So, I gave him a kiss on the cheek and left him a little note to tell him 'thank you' for everything he'd done and that I'd be back to visit him when I could.

I walked into Koi and Naomi's room too, and they were the same, cuddled up sleeping. Fast asleep. I left Koi the bag of tootsie rolls that I'd stolen from the 7/11 with Harlow and I left Naomi a note saying to call me. We'd figure something out with the band later, but I wanted to keep in touch. I gave them each a cheek kiss and then left the room quietly. As if I'd never been there.

I called Kristen, she didn't answer and I knew Mikey wouldn't either, so I left voicemails telling each of them to call me and that I loved them. I'd tie up loose ends when I reached New York.

I called Peter and quit my job at the record store; effective immediately.

Then, I called my Uncle Matt. He told me he'd come to pick up Morris that day but I couldn't talk to my little brother cause he was at school. I'd be back the next weekend though for his ninth birthday with gifts and love that would make up for no goodbye. I was determined to keep a schedule in contact with him. I was going to be the best big sister ever.

It was just a matter of consistency, and I was determined. So far, it'd been so good.

I didn't know how or when the time would come for me to explain to him that Harlow and I were over, but it'd come one up day and I wasn't going to sit and wait for it.

Speak of the devil.

Harlow was next.

I stepped back into our bedroom to see he was in the same position as before, knocked out exhausted.

I debated just leaving a note, but I knew he'd fly to New York and kick my ass if I did that.

So, I wandered over to the bed with a heavy heart and brushed his hair back from his face gently, as I'd done a million times before, "Harlow..." I whispered.

His lips twitched and he must've thought it was a sweet dream cause all he did was take my hand lightly, the coolness of his silver skull ring touching my wrist.

"Harlow," I whispered again, my throat aching so hard I had to swallow down tears more than once. I brushed my fingers down his face and he softly groaned, nuzzling his head into my hand.

I cleared my throat just as he fluttered his eyes open, "My uncle is gonna come pick up Morris today, so when he gets here let him inside. The dog bowls and his food are under the counter. And um... there's some money in a can on the fridge for rent of the lake house, use it—"

"W-What?..." Harlow groggily opened his eyes wider and I watched the realization and panic spread across his face, "No... no, no." He sat up quickly and looked me up and down; checking my outfit. His eyes clocked the suitcase by the door and he shook his head, "No, no I'm not ready."