40

[I'm sorry in advance]

          "You called?"

          "The setting sun. It's beautiful. I figured you would want to see it too."

          Arisa stood beside Shinsou, the boy who texted her to come out and head towards the roof of UA's main building, a high vantage point, the perfect spot to the sunsets and sunrises. Arisa didn't question why the boy called her up here because the sun was indeed beautiful and they were both friends for quite a while now, although, they barely see each other. They only communicate through texts and phonecalls.

          Arisa glanced at Shinsou who sat at the ledge, swinging his feet lightly and softly nudged him with her hand, brushing it lightly against his shoulder, "Don't sit at the edge. It makes me uneasy."

          He smiled tiredly up at her, his eyes rimmed with dark circles as usual, "Afraid I'd fall?"

          "Yeah. Well, even if you do, I can easily catch you but please, spare me the heart attack."

          He turned away, "Too late, I'm afraid I've already fallen."

          "What?"

          "Hayashi, I like you," he began and she was about to interrupt him when he simply continued, "I think I've always liked you ever since we've met. You've had me the moment you caught me that day in the hallway," the boy huffed a breath of laughter as he tucked a strand of his messy locks behind his ear, his eyes never leaving the setting sun, watching as it slowly but surely sunk further and further into the horizon.

          "I saw," he started again, "You and Todoroki. He likes you and you like him. He looks at you in such a way, so soft that I knew that I had no chance."

          Shinsou had seen them, just yesterday as he headed to Class 1-A's dorms. Shinsou had bought a bouquet of roses - he wanted to confess, to tell her how he felt about her. He wanted to have more than just silly texts and calls over the phone. He wanted more. He wanted her. It was then, at the gates of the dorm, he saw Todoroki Shoto caress the girl's face, gaze soft and planted a kiss to the side of her head. It was just brief but it was enough to break Shinsou's heart. His heart sunk and so he left, tossing the roses into the nearest bin.

          Forlorn, Arisa beckoned, "Shinsou."

          "Hitoshi."

          "Huh?"

          The boy stood up and finally turned to face her, a rueful smile on his lips, his gaze clearly sad. Arisa didn't know what to say. The boy filled in the gaps of silence for her.

          "Call me Hitoshi. Just once. Reject me so I can move on."

          Shinsou looked at her. They were the same height. Maybe she was slightly taller. In the light of the fading sun, she looked beautiful. He watched as she slipped off the cloth around her eyes and his breath hitched in his throat. He felt like he was falling for her for the first time once more.

          Her gaze was sad. She held his hands, "I didn't know you felt this way about me, Hitoshi."

          "It wasn't your fault for not noticing. It was mine. I didn't really try to express it."

          "I've never been the best at emotional awareness either. With Shoto," Shinsou bit his lip at the name. She called him by name, "He approached me first. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have known. But," she tucked a white strand of hair behind her ear, "Even if you told me, even if I knew, I don't think I could provide you with anything. I am unable to feel love. Even with Shoto, both of us are still learning as we go. I think, this was for the best. I don't think I would have been able to make you happy."