𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠'𝐬 𝐠𝐞𝐦

Start from the beginning

A feeling of power washed over me as if some archaic, mighty and regal beast was around me. Its presence could trigger many emotions in a being until they all culminate together in chaos and come to stillness— just like when you mix all the rainbow colours only to get the colour white.

I felt overpowered by it at first until the chaos evaporated, and there was only one thing— stillness. My stillness corresponded to that of the woods until it felt as if I was nothing by myself but a part of the woods.

In that ephemeral moment, I felt like a tree, standing there along the woods, holding my breath and awaiting that majestic creature to come out of the dense shadows and subjugate all the mortals.

But who was that creature? Was it some animal watching us from the shadows? Or was it some forest entity, a forgotten goddess, or a cursed soul haunting these woods?

I searched for it, turning into my inner eyes and ears until I found it— him.

My eyes snapped open, and I looked at him.

How could it be him?

He was sitting beside me, staring at something in his hand. His face was pensive, and his eyes looked darker than normal. Quietly, I sat up to see what had caught his attention.

There was a red gem in his palm. I felt captive by its mystical beauty as soon as I looked at it. I couldn't help but stare at it, feeling more and more drawn toward it while feeling a wave of unfamiliar energy wash over me.

"Where did you get this?" He asked, snapping me out of the trance. I straightened up and studied the stone for a moment longer, trying not to get carried away by its beauty. I hadn't seen something like that before. I lifted my hand and gently touched the gem. Instantly, my fingers were covered with a burning yet nippy feeling.

"I... I don't remember," I lied. Vittoria must have put it in my bag — as far as I could think about it. But why would she do it? It didn't look like an ordinary gem.

"You don't remember?" Nico said, turning to me. Grimness shrouded his face.

"No," I lied. "I don't even know what that gem is,"

"This..." he stared, holding it up at the sky until it started to absorb sunlight and glow like a piece of burning lava, "...is one of the most powerful and rarest gems ever to exist. It's called Varimoreite,"

"How do you know about it?" I asked. He stayed silent, lost in his thoughts, tracing his fingers around it as if trying to memorise its details.

"I... just know," He muttered more to himself.

"How rare is it exactly?" I asked.

"Very, only another of its kind is known to exist,"

"Where?"

"Alexandros of Cromeria is said to own one engraved on his throne," He answered darkly.

"You mean that mutt king?" I joked. His head snapped towards me with lightning speed, startling me.

"You don't sound too pleased about him," he commented. I shrugged.

"Why would anyone be pleased with him?" I questioned.

"You must think like that because you're a Somirean,"

"I don't have to be a Somirean to hate a tyrant who torments people for fun. Have you ever heard how he treats his people? Their taxes are through the roof! His warlords destroyed countless republic tribes, killing innocents and kidnapping women! He sounds like the most terrible person to me. No wonder he's maidenliness. I hope he dies soon and alone," I confessed.

Meanwhile, he studied me quietly. He gazed at me with an unnatural intensity. A myriad of emotions simmered in his eyes. He almost looked wounded.

"What happened?" I asked, "You don't sound pleased to hear my opinions on that brute,"

"No... I was just wondering how you could say so much about him even if you know nothing about him personally,"

"I don't need to know him personally to say such things, Nico. He's a king, and kings should be judged by actions rather than their words or personal beliefs. A king might say that he's peace-loving but throw in some political greed, and he'd be ready to shed blood. He might say that he loves his people, but when it comes to the women and the weak, he's willing to overlook their well-being to please the elites, noblemen and those bloody men of religion... you know what I am saying? I don't need to meet him to know that he's a terrible person. Whatever he's done so far speaks for itself," I explained.

"What about me?" He asked all of a sudden.

"Huh?" I was stunned, not understanding what he meant.

"What do you think about me?" He asked.

_

The next 3 chapters are free on Inkitt. Read up to chapter 40 on Patreon. The Links are in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3