Family Reunion

Oliver feels his jaw drop, and he sinks back to the floor before he can catch himself. He stares at Melody, his lips twitching as he tries to form words. There's no way she just called Frigg - Odin's wife - her mom. Right? He tries to right himself again but flops back to the floor when Melody runs at the goddess, burying herself in her embrace. Odin chuckles, crossing the room slowly and offering him a hand.

"I suppose you weren't aware?" He says. Oliver shakes his head, taking the man's hand without question. Frigg and Melody talk back and forth, but the words don't reach his ears. "There were...circumstances," Odin says, hauling Oliver to his feet. "To be clear, we are not Melody's biological parents. We simply raised her."

"R-right," Oliver breaths, barely processing the words. It still feels unbelievable - a Grecian apprentice, raised by Norse gods? He looks to Odin, waiting for the punchline that has to be coming. But he just smiles, watching the two catch up.

"Don't feel bad, I think only a couple of Greek gods know about the arrangement," Odin says, stroking his beard. "Zeus, of course. And her teacher."

"But is that allowed?" Oliver says, rubbing his eyes. Is he hallucinating? Did he pass out after warping two people so far, and this is his dream? Is it possible that he's somehow still wrapped in Marcus's illusions, two weeks later?

"We're gods," Odin laughs, slapping his back gently. For once Oliver doesn't find himself scrambling to stay on his feet. "We can bend a rule or two."

"Thomas!" Frigg calls. She waves the two over, and Oliver follows Odin. Oliver tries to not notice the serious look on Frigg's face, or Melody's nervous lip chewing. "I think it would be better for her to ask you this." She says. Odin nods, turning to Melody with a welcoming grin.

"Very well. But first - good to see you, dear." He holds his arm out, and Melody gives him a quick hug. She steps back quickly, standing up straight. Oliver tries to copy her formal appearance - it only feels appropriate, considering who they're speaking to - but can't do it.

"Odin," Melody says, her voice shaking. She swallows hard, glancing at Oliver for only a moment. "I...I'd like to see him." Odin's smile fades, his shoulders dropping. Melody holds his gaze, gripping her dress. "Please."

"I see," Odin says, closing his eye. He rubs his chin, nodding to himself. "I understand that's not the only reason you're here?" Melody jumps, quickly throwing her hip bag open. She digs into it, producing the papyrus scroll from the Ennead.

"W-we'd also like to discuss a new treaty," she says, holding it out. Odin takes the scroll, tucking it into his cloak.

"We will review it," He promises. "As for your other request..." He glances at Frigg, and they seem to share a silent conversation. Oliver wonders for a moment if they have some sort of telepathy, but he doesn't remember any gods sharing that kind of connection. Odin finally nods, facing Melody. "...very well. I can arrange it."

"Really!?" Melody says, her eyes widening. Oliver can't quite place the emotion - it looks like a mix between pure joy, relief, and gut-wrenching terror. He knows the latter all too well.

"Yes, just seeing him shouldn't be a problem. But...you may wish you didn't." He says grimly. Oliver's stomach sinks, the pieces falling together in his mind.

"W-wait, you don't mean...?" Melody bites her lip, her eyes sinking to the floor.

"Yes...I know Marcus too."

Melody slides her hand along the rough stone wall, watching her feet as they make their way down the rocky tunnel. It's like a mineshaft, going down into the earth at a steep angle. She considers casting a flight spell but decides against it; she doesn't want this to be easy. Of everything waiting for her, she knows that this is going to be one of the hardest challenges.