Guilt

Melody barely pays attention as she's led to her room. It's nice enough - a fluffy bed with silk sheets, wide windows, and all kinds of snacks. But she can't enjoy any of it. Her stomach is twisted into knots, and even the thought of eating makes her want to throw up. Whenever she lays down, the voice inside her seems to scream louder, stealing any chance at sleep. She watches the last rays of sunlight disappear over the horizon, feeling like her stomach is trying to eat itself. Finally, after hours of twisting and turning in bed, she throws her covers off and heads out into the night.

The magic she saw in the little town is all but gone in the gloom of night. There are no workers or students bustling to get home. The trees and patches of grass are washed in a dull grey, just like the rest of the town. She walks faster, as if trying to escape at it, swatting at a buzzing fly absentmindedly. But the further she goes, the more her thoughts wander, allowing the voice to seize control of her mind. 

It's your fault that the treaty is broken, Mel. You're the one who planned it. It's all your fault. People died because of you. People were hurt. What if Oliver hadn't stopped it in time? The world would have ended, all because of you. It's your fault, Mel. Mel!

"Mel!" Melody jumps at the familiar voice, her mind going blank. Her heart hammers, sending blood shooting through her ears, and she carefully turns to the source of the voice. She can't even tell if she's excited, angry, or scared. But the three mix together as she lays eyes on the familiar face; the crooked teeth, pointed nose, sleek black hair. He grins, spreading his arms out to her. "Mel," He repeats.

"M-Marcus," She gasps, stumbling a step. Pain ripples through her head, and she slowly, carefully reaches out. "A-Are you really...but, how did you?"

"Wrong!" Marcus cheers musically, his voice suddenly changing. It turns high pitch and whimsical, like that of a young boy. He grins at her, then waves his hand with a flourish. His features warp and change. He grows taller, his ears wide and round, his cheeks plump. His eyes change from Marcus's dark green to bright red, almost the same colour as Melody's hair. His clothes shift to a simple robe, white with a black belt and collar. He has black slippers on, and a pair of pajama pants covered in grinning monkeys. He looks like he could be one of the Ennead in a monkey headdress, but his face still moves. He grins, winking at her playfully. "Guess again?"

"Who are you?" Melody hisses, her eyes flashing amber. She raises her hands, magic circles forming on her palms. The man raises his hands defensively, taking a careful step back.

"Hey, let's not go picking fights you can't win! I'm a friend!" He says, the grin never leaving his lips. Melody narrows her eyes, gritting her teeth.

"Who are you." She repeats. The man sighs, hanging his head and letting his arms go limp.

"Let's see...the greatest king of kings? Sage of sages? The one above the highest of the high? More divine than the divine?"

"Your name," Melody hisses, her voice dripping with venom. "And how do you know me?"

"I know loads of stuff!" The man says, puffing out his chest. He ruffles his own hair, flashing a grin to show it off once it looks like a fluffy brown bird's nest. He smooths his bushy mutton chops and stretches his face with his fingers. "I can do magic to - I like card tricks. I've got a lot of spare time, so I tend to-" Melody raises her hand, her eyes flashing again, and the man backs away. "H-hey, we're on the same side here! We're working towards the same goal!"

"Somehow I doubt that," Melody hisses. "Tell me who you are or I'm leaving."

"Among the things I know," The man continues, puffing out his plump cheeks. "Are manners. Like it's only polite to introduce yourself before asking someone else's name."