"I'm not usually the one on this path. Who are you?" he interrogated.

I chuckled and shook my head. This scenario wasn't one I expected would ever happen. "My name's Farley Andrews." I was about one foot in front of him now. He stepped back, his head lowering. "Nice to meet you."

"Pax," he stated. "Now, I don't believe that you're just here for a walk."

I raised an eyebrow at him and crossed my arms. "Why else would I be in the middle of the woods?" I couldn't help the curious grin which spread across my face. I was sure my amusement was clear in my voice.

His eyes opened with alertness. "What's so funny?" His shoulders rose to his ears once again. "Did you come alone?"

My smile vanished. "I did." My eyes wandered through the trees. "Why? You've been worried since I first laid eyes on you."

He scowled at me and shook his head. "Never mind, I've got to continue checking the path." He moved around me, nudging my shoulder. "Don't let anyone see you."

The warning was ominous, so much so that I followed him. "I think I'll join you."

He moved further away from me on the path, making the dead grass brush against his leg. "That's not necessary." His words were harsh. It didn't surprise me much. I was the one interrupting his walk and trespassing on supposed 'private property'.

"Of course, it's not." I walked beside him. His steps were small, yet quick. He kept his hands by his sides, fists clenched, and head facing forward. "I'd appreciate the company."

Pax scoffed. "I'm not much company to anyone." That piqued my curiosity. How many people came to the woods?

"Has anyone joined you on your walk in the trees before?"

His steps became louder, and his frown deepened. "No, must you ask questions?" He turned to look at me, not noticing the branch which was about to hit him in the face as he continued to walk. I reached a hand out to pull him back, only for my hand to be smacked away. "Don't touch me."

"Fine, if you'd prefer to poke your eyes out." I shrugged and started to walk ahead of him. "Asking and answering questions is how conversation works. Though, it's quite clear you're not used to that." I, once again, sounded ruder than I had meant to.

He moved the branch out of the way and followed me with a sigh. "Why would you want to converse with me?" It wasn't a bad question; I had debated it since I started talking to him.

"I'm a talkative person," I told him bluntly. "I like conversation. I've never met anyone in these woods before."

"There's a good reason for that." I waited for him to continue. "I'm not a talkative person." Yet, you continue to humour me.

"Aw, are you sure?" I teased. "Maybe you just haven't been talking to the right people." I slowed and moved to the right, so that I could keep the same pace as him. "How long have you been coming round here?"

"Ten years."

My eyes widened in shock. I tried to keep an even pace. How come I hadn't seen him before? I would've certainly remembered seeing him.

"This is the only trail I use." That would explain it. His words almost made me a little suspicious that he could see my shocked facial expression. I didn't believe him. I wasn't going to ask him to tell the truth to a stranger.

"I've been coming here for a few years, since I got my first job and found out how buses work," I told him. "Wait, didn't you say you don't go along this path?"

In the Eyes of the WolfOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara